Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here Comes the Boom

Here Comes the Boom

President Biden called on Congress to pass "commonsense gun law reforms" on Sunday in a message marking the third anniversary of the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla.

"Today, as we mourn with the Parkland community, we mourn for all who have lost loved ones to gun violence," Biden said in a statement released by the White House.

In the statement, the president called for several specific provisions to be adopted into legislation by Congress, including an end to legal immunity for gun manufacturers, a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, and an expansion of federal background checks.
    Source

I guess he'll be needing those private prisons after all.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

What's your thought on the high cap magazines and that sort of thing?

Thoughts in what context?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

For 'em, ag'in 'em, do they impinge on the 2A, that sort of thing. I don't know much about the arguments for these items.

For 'em.
    They are protected by the 2nd Amendment.
    In 39 years as a sworn peace officer I have never personally heard a coworker say they should be banned. Hell, cops love guns! The only ones I've heard say that are appointed chiefs parroting their mayors.

Can't wait for the midterms.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    What's your thought on the high cap magazines and that sort of thing?
    A misnomer...I think you mean standard capacity magazines, don't you?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

My 1873 Winchester has a magazine capacity of 14 rounds. I guess Biden and his henchmen would outlaw it. A gun that has been perfectly legal for 136 years since it was manufactured in 1884.

I'm not familiar with any of the arguments for or against the "standard capacity" magazines.

Is this a possible point of negotiation or is it a red line? Last time we talked about anything on this subject, Mike, you generally had a maximalist position - no compromise allowed. I understood that argument at the time. Is that your position on the subject of magazines as well? I ask because a Congress Critter from NY, Maloney, is busily introducing all sorts of bills about gun control, one of which revolves around magazine capacity.

She's also doing something about background checks, not sure what.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    My 1873 Winchester has a magazine capacity of 14 rounds. I guess Biden and his henchmen would outlaw it. A gun that has been perfectly legal for 136 years since it was manufactured in 1884.

Lotta those 1873s are showing up in street crime, gotta watch it.

In NY, Cuomo, who always has to go one better, has limited the number of bullets that can be loaded into a magazine to 7. My most recent has a capacity of 8. So I and everyone around me is 1/8 safer than they were before.

I believe that is exempt from Federal Regulations by virtue of being manufactured before 1898.

The only change they propose that I can accept of is increased background checks. That might keep someone who is barred from having firearms from getting one and it is really no inconvenience the way it is currently done. However, if someone is determined to obtain a firearm, they can get one easily enough either on the black market, or stealing it. The old adage "if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns" is spot-on true.

I will not compromise on any currently legal guns or magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I believe that is exempt from Federal Regulations by virtue of being manufactured before 1898.

That's only for transfers I think. No FFL required, for the most part. Ben will know better than me.

Biden said that he was going to take what they call assault rifles away from the owners of those rifles during his campaign. Therefore, I would expect him to try to do it. Obviously this will end up in the Supreme Court at some point or the other.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.