Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Midwest including parts of Texas is in for it

The Midwest including parts of Texas are in for it

Was looking at the weather this morning all of Oklahoma and a huge part of Texas is covered under a winter storm warning. Hope the members that are affected by this are ready for this event because it seems to be somewhat unusual.
    Last edited by Honda; 02-13-2021 at 05:32 PM.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Right now it's cloudy and calm at 34° in the middle of the afternoon here...We're told to expect single digit temps beginning Monday...I hear the panic is on at the grocery stores...I can outlast a few days of wintry weather as long as the electricity holds out......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Just talked to my daughter in northern Washington State and she has quite a bit of snow in her area.

May our people, their friends and family, be safe.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    We are coated in a half inch of ice... a kizillion times worse than snow..

I do hope that all are safe..

17 below last night, but we are accustomed to it. We don't use salt up here in the winter - too cold. We use sand. And I'd like to intone about how we are all experts in winter driving up here but when only six cars a day go past the house and the nearest hamlet is 12 miles away and has 150 people, your biggest danger driving is breaking down, actually, and being in the huge cell phone dead zone in the mountains.

PANIC building here in N W Louisiana. I sometimes wonder about the sanity of 95% of the population when it comes to weather
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Cold here, 30° now. Projected low tonight is 26°. That's not bad for us, but colder than normal.

My worry is the next few days when it does not climb above freezing for almost a week. According to AccuWeather the worst will be Monday night with a low of 5°. That doesn't happen here. I've seen one forecast of -4° for Monday night.

I just hope to keep the pipes from bursting and the water flowing. Right now, I'm living in my 5th wheel parked beside my shop while I finish the renovation on the old farm house. I filled all of my Propane tanks, 4 thirty lbs and 4 20 lb bottles. Hope that's enough! Using electric space heaters to conserve Propane. I have a generator and 40 gallons of gas for both in case we lose power, which I expect to happen. If it ices, the tree limbs and power lines will come down.

You Northerners go ahead and laugh, we are not prepared for something like this so it is a big deal here.

Damn I hate cold!!!!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Looks like we're going to dodge it by about 50 miles I hope that forecast holds.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Cold here, 30° ...

You Northerners go ahead and laugh, we are not prepared for something like this so it is a big deal here.

Damn I hate cold!!!!
    I wish that we had hit 30 today.. have gas heat and the power to the boiler and pumps can be tun off of generator.. was out yesterday doing yard work, 29 degrees.. can do a lot when the ground is frozen..

Be careful, the fiver furnace will drink propane.. too bad Hank Hill couldn’t lend you a “pig”..

Stay warm..

And don’t drive.. we see “Texicans driving in winter “ clips on the news every year..

I just came in from harvesting what I could of my winter garden. I got two big cabbages and enough Brussels Sprouts to feed Patton's army. I'm guessing the Celery is gone for sure. The Garlic and Onions might make it and I just don't know about the Collards. They'll take some cold, but I'm betting 5° is below their threshold.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    .........Be careful, the fiver furnace will drink propane......
    I know that's right. I ran an extra #12 circuit inside from the shop so I could use a third electric space heater to conserve Propane. The downside is it doesn't heat the basement to keep the pipes warm so I have to make sure to run the furnace occasionally to heat the basement. I have heat tape on the exposed pipes.

I wouldn't drip I would stream every faucet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I know that's right. I ran an extra #12 circuit inside from the shop so I could use a third electric space heater to conserve Propane. The downside is it doesn't heat the basement to keep the pipes warm so I have to make sure to run the furnace occasionally to heat the basement. I have heat tape on the exposed pipes.
    I did that.. ran a 20 amp line in the fiver just for heat.. worked great..

Had the factory 30 amp and an additional 20..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I did that.. ran a 20 amp line in the fiver just for heat.. worked great..

Had the factory 30 amp and an additional 20..

I have the factory 50 amp and added the additional 20 amp just for additional heat. Working well, so far....