Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Texas weather

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I am a firm believer in redundancy.
    A repeatable offense......

A bit further south here, our ice storm did not materialize...Things continue to thaw out but roads are still treacherous...More nasty stuff on its way here Thur/Fri and the gun show remains an unknown for this weekend......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Don't mention redundancy to your grid manager, that concept doesn't seem to be part of the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Don't mention redundancy to your grid manager, that concept doesn't seem to be part of the plan.
    It has been cussed and discussed for years. Mostly during summer when heat causes the grid to stress and sometimes break.

The truth of the matter is that the generation and distribution companies don't want to spend the money to improve things. They also do not want outside competition, hence a standalone grid.

The legislators like what the lobbyists are handing out so nothing is going to change.

I hate politicians!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I have been reading about it in semi technical writings the last couple of days, you are in a bad place without much hope for correcting past mistakes. It seems to all lay at the feet of your politicians.....and ultimately the voters.

The ice storm started an hour or so ago. It could spell real disaster if it brings down tree limbs and power lines.

We've been lucky with electricity since the wee hours of this morning. Hope it lasts.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

One of the more puzzling things I have seen is an aerial shot of of a conventional generation plant. Assuming it is actually in Texas, I believe it to be a recent photo since there is snow on the ground. The plant obviously is not on line!
    It is also clear that the media has not figured that out yet because they don't mention it.
    I have read there are gas line disruptions and at least part of that plant is gas firered.

Several generation plants are down because the cooling systems froze. Some natural gas wells and pipelines are down due to freezing and lack of power to run the pumps.

A nuke plant is even down due to freezing.

Not to be critical but my impression of what you are going through with your grid could be attributed to piss poor planning.

You are correct but the generation and distribution companies have no incentive to improve their infrastructure because the legislature gives them a pass.

With the legislature currently in-session with Austin paralyzed some pissed off legislators might actually do something to earn their keep. At least I can dream!

The one thing I have always thought I could count on is Natural gas. I learned today that the freeze has curtailed production by 50%.

I might be lucky because I have a Natural gas pipeline that crosses my property. A big one running at 300 PSI. My meter is attached to the pipeline. The gas is not yet odorized so there is a "bottle" of the odorizing agent attached to the meter. The "bottle" is refilled once a year. It takes 7 regulators to reduce the pressure between the pipeline and my meter. It looks like a steam punk Christmas tree. I think my supply is probably secure.

I did read that NG production in Texas has been seriously curtailed.

Ironically, this morning on the way to the hospital and on a backcountry road I passed a CNG truck---I would likely have never noticed it except it came from (I believe) a depot for CNG about 5 miles from the cottage. I have to assume it was headed for a big greenhouse operation close to where I saw him---if not that boy was seriously lost

I was excited to see it---maybe he had some of my gas. My wells have been shut down, but now with the price up they should be pumping like their bank account depends on it
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I'm glad to see that you will begin to get a break in the cold this weekend and back in the 60's by next week
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    ...and the gun show remains an unknown for this weekend......Ben
    No mystery now...It was cancelled now that temps are above freezing and all the county and other buildings are flooded from broken pipes......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I read that your governor has put out a request for plumbers from anywhere come to help out.

It is 22 F and snowing here (sent from Texas ) with 8" forecast, but will only be seen as a temporary inconvenience by some and gift by others.

My distributor sent this message:

As a result of increased generation and stable demand, Oncor has been able to cease controlled, or rotating, outages.

We have had constant power for about 36 hours now.

It is 25 degrees and supposed to snow this morning but after that things start warming up.