Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Texas weather

Thanks for the update. Just don't forget that heater isn't vented.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Not supposed to be. But I have two CO monitors just in case.

The only internet I have is 4G and it is not working well.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

But I have two CO monitors just in case.
    Good
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Mike,
    may want to drain the water in the 5er..

open all of the low points.. open all of the spigots.. drain HWH.. bypass HWH..

use air compressor at 20 PSI to blow into the water fill close all spigots and low points , except one cold water.. .. then open a second spigot and closed the first.. repeat with hot side.. reopen low point as last "blow out.. leave spogots all open when through..

The reason for the lesson is that my camping buddy from Katy tells me that he has never winterized..

Sucking Pink is a whole nuther story, chapter two..

Good luck.. Ive winterized in a rest area in an ice storm..

Blowing out my lines was always suspect.

I opted for the pink edible antifreeze--it was cheap insurance.

My last Holiday trailer had a heated "basement"---that was a great addition for deer hunting and ice fishing. My slide in is all internal so when in use there isn't a problem. The only issue with either one was the slide dump valve---that can have enough retained moisture to freeze fast.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Agree .. pink is good insurance.. I’m working on assumption that there isn’t a glut of pink at Mikes shop.. since my Texas buddy never winterizes.. after blowing out, small drops in spigot and pump is concern..leave spigots open

20 years ago an old guy from Nova Socia told me (at flying j in Carmel Church Va) that he blew out lines without pink and never had a problem..

I blow the system and then suck pink.. blown lines don’t dilute the pink..

I agree and did the same. That Flying J was always my first fuel stop on the way down and my last on the way up.

I know how to winterize - did that 20 years ago when I got the first travel trailer. Found out that it wasn't necessary in Houston. Quit doing it unless there was a major event expected. I would have done it this time except we are /were living in it. I have heat tape on every thing exposed and the basement is heated. It all froze up 3 or so days ago so winterizing is not going to work.

It got up to 34 today. Supposed to drop to 20 tonight. Beats the hell out of this mornings -2!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Dang.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    It got up to 34 today. Supposed to drop to 20 tonight. Beats the hell out of this mornings -2!
    I was glad to see 30's also...My two frozen pipes finally thawed this afternoon so I'm back to full water service, hot and cold...We have an ice storm possibly brewing tonight with temps in the low 20's, so I'll be dripping all the faucets, hot and cold...Mike, I still remember some icy times in Tyler, so just stay alert......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Finally have some power. I hope it lasts...............

This is what Global Warming gets you ....

Running out of energy in Texas is like starving to death in a grocery store. But that’s another topic for another day.

Just be careful and resist the urge to rush things. That’s when guys get hurt.

Btw, my cabin gets blown out and refilled with the pink stuff. I was never able to get everything out of the lines by blowing them.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

I hear a second storm is on it's way too.....

The power has been off again for a while. I hope it is part of the rolling black outs. When it came back on earlier it lasted for two hours then went off for about 30 minutes. That was repeated and I hope this outage will be the same.

Still, I'm nice and warm using the space heater. I stole another CO monitor from the trailer so I now have 3 of them to protect us tonight. I am a firm believer in redundancy.