Thread: 1873 Winchester

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1873 Winchester

I just bought a 1873 Winchester, manufactured in 1884, and chambered in .44 WCF (.44-40). I've been wanting one of these for years and finally pulled the trigger (pun intended) when one I've been watching got a $600 price cut. It is rated as "very good" and certified on guns.com.

Of course, I can't find any ammo for it because of the damned fool panic buyers. Maybe by the time it arrives I will have found a box.

Now, hurry up and wait!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1873.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	37857  

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Very nice---congratulations
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I have looked at dozens of ammo sellers and .44-40 is sold out everywhere. Who would have thought this round would be something the panic buyers would want?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

When I was about 10 years old my grandpa gave me a Colt Lightning rifle in 44:40
    Pump action, octagon barrel, was in perfect shape but long ago I made the mistake of having it re-blued, shame on me, I didn't know any better.

Now it's probably worthless but I still keep it because Grandpa gave it to me

When I was about 12 our next door neighbor gave me a box of cartridges for it, they were 44:40, brass case but with oak bullets. I think they were WW I practice rounds. I actually fired one by mistake, while running cartridges through it I accidently pulled the trigger while trying to pump it. Scared the **** out of me.
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

Oak bullets. That's something I've never heard of.

Cool story. Thanks!

Buffalo Bullets had your ammo last time I looked a couple days ago.

All I know about these old gal’s is to use round nose.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.