Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1873 Winchester

1873 Winchester

I just bought a 1873 Winchester, manufactured in 1884, and chambered in .44 WCF (.44-40). I've been wanting one of these for years and finally pulled the trigger (pun intended) when one I've been watching got a $600 price cut. It is rated as "very good" and certified on guns.com.

Of course, I can't find any ammo for it because of the damned fool panic buyers. Maybe by the time it arrives I will have found a box.

Now, hurry up and wait!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1873.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	37857  

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Very nice---congratulations
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I have looked at dozens of ammo sellers and .44-40 is sold out everywhere. Who would have thought this round would be something the panic buyers would want?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

When I was about 10 years old my grandpa gave me a Colt Lightning rifle in 44:40
    Pump action, octagon barrel, was in perfect shape but long ago I made the mistake of having it re-blued, shame on me, I didn't know any better.

Now it's probably worthless but I still keep it because Grandpa gave it to me

When I was about 12 our next door neighbor gave me a box of cartridges for it, they were 44:40, brass case but with oak bullets. I think they were WW I practice rounds. I actually fired one by mistake, while running cartridges through it I accidently pulled the trigger while trying to pump it. Scared the **** out of me.
    Dave

Today is un-returnable !

Oak bullets. That's something I've never heard of.

Cool story. Thanks!

Buffalo Bullets had your ammo last time I looked a couple days ago.

All I know about these old gal’s is to use round nose.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Buffalo Bullets is sold out now.

One of your best sources on information (but not ammo) for these guns is right here in Conroe...Retired, now back at work deputy, you may already know him...He's a walking encyclopedia on Winchesters and old Colts......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Buffalo Bullets is sold out now.
    Ammo is crazy at the moment. I saw 22’s the other day -$300 for 500.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Ammo is totally crazy! Almost everything is sold out everywhere.

I decided to just buy the reloading components and roll my own. Nope! Sold Out.

Reloaders? Sold Out for the most part.

I wonder if I could trade some toilet paper.................. Nope too late for that, it's available.

My Dad had one of those, Mike. He'd hunt the relatively small California deer with it. We had a blast going on those hunts with him. They were some of the high points in my life.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I don't have much time---but here are dies.

..and Brownells also.

As a side comment---in light of what just went on at the capital this blight in ammo and ammo related supplies is concerning to me.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Dave, are dies interchangeable between loaders, or are they exclusive to the brand?
    There are a few that require sleeves but for the most part they are interchangable. I used to have both RCBS and Redding T7 presses set up on my bench. Now I have the Redding T7 and the Redding Big Boss mounted. I use mostly RCBS dies but I also have Pacific, Lyman, Foster (my preference), and I think there is one Lee on my die shelf. They all have the 7/8" x 14 thread.

Added in edit---I had a meeting pushed back

I checked my dies--there are more brands on that shelf, including Hornady, Lee and Herters---yes the original Herters---what can I say

Also, while I was checking Midway, Amazon pushed in--and they also have your dies. I haven't checked for powder and bullets---the last time we went through this craziness powder was nowhere to be found.

And--since I am still on standby---I have bought and sold a lot of reloading stuff on ebay---and they have dies for you also.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 02-04-2021 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks, Dave. The rest of the problem is reloaders are mostly sold out. Brass is definitely sold out. I haven't bothered to look at bullets or molds. I'd guess primers and powder are also unavailable. It's madness based on the Democrats having control.

Now that you mention it, when Obama was first elected I hit the wall on primers---I ran out and there was none to be found. Now I maintain a "safety stock".