Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1873 Winchester

Thinking afterward of my mentioning Herter dies---those dies date to 1959 or 60. I have two: 222 Rem and 308 Win. I still use the 222 dies but replaced the 308 (which I could still use ) with Foster dies for improved accuracy. Thinking now that those dies are 61 or 62 years old----they are getting close to retirement age
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

After searching a few hundred sites, I finally scored some .44-40 ammo. It is just as expensive as illicit drugs. With shipping added in they go for $2.78 each!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

No wonder they had some
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

It's a good thing I bought the gun as a collectible and not a shooter!

I took possession today and I am very happy with the condition. I haven't seen the bore yet because I can't seem to find the software for my endoscope. I am also surprised at the length and weight. Just thinking about hauling it around on horseback makes me tired. It boggles my mind to think it is 136 years old and wonder where it has been and what it has seen. I sure wish I knew the history and the gun could tell me its stories.

on edit: I found my endoscope software but it was a waste of time. The field of view is too narrow to see much of the sides of the bore. Even though it is certified by a supposed expert I'm going to take it to a gunsmith before shooting it.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

When I first saw your post I looked for about 30 minutes and couldn't find any anywhere. That stuff is like gold apparently.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    ...... That stuff is like gold apparently.
    Pretty much all ammunition is like that today. For that matter, pretty much anything to do with firearms is like gold! Thanks, democrats!

I took it to a gunsmith today. A real gunsmith, not a retail store that claims to have a gunsmith.

He examined the rifle and said it was in really good condition and that the bore was in "remarkable" condition. I am very pleased!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Pretty much all ammunition is like that today. For that matter, pretty much anything to do with firearms is like gold! Thanks, democrats!
    How is this the fault of Democrats? Everything I read says it is demand that is driving the price.

And what is the attraction for this antique? Beautiful gun? Lots of history? What made you want to buy it? Just curious.

My parents had an old flintlock converted to a percussion cap. Just a showpiece. Never tried to fire it. Gave a helluva lot of character to the living room.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    How is this the fault of Democrats? Everything I read says it is demand that is driving the price.

It is the fault of the democrats because of their history of gun grabbing and their threats and promises to restrict and take our guns when they get the chance. With the election being what it was panic buying set in and emptied the shelves. The same thing happened when Obama was elected. Of course, the pandemic cut back production, as well. It's a perfect storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    And what is the attraction for this antique? Beautiful gun? Lots of history? What made you want to buy it? Just curious.
    It is the history of the thing. It is the most iconic rifle of the old West, it is the gun "that won the West". Most folks think that was the 1894, but it came too late. I have some of them, too.

Forensics show that at least 8 of them were used by Native Americans at the Battle of Little Bighorn. Too bad the Army didn't arm Custer's troops with them, but the results would have been the same.

It is nostalgia.

For me, it is the holy grail of guns.

There is even a movie about it staring James Stewart, Winchester '73.

Here is an article in Field & Stream that tells a little about it.

Yes, I am passionate about it. I've wanted one for many years just to be able to say I had one. I spent more than I should have on something I don't really need, but I feel that I do need it.

Maybe it is something like how you feel about your Cadillac. Maybe not.

See, there's the difference. I haven't spent more than I should on something that I don't need. I don't think that sum CAN be reached! LOL!!

My wife has a different opinion, however.