Thread: Hydrographics My Neighbor Does

Hydrographics My Neighbor Does

My neighbor has a small business doing hydrographic printing on just about anything. His most popular items are guns and deer heads. Here are a couple of pictures I have. I will get some more pictures and add them from time to time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12014.jpeg 
Views:	99 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	37854  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DeerHead.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	447.6 KB 
ID:	37860  

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I had never seen a skull done...Very cool......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Outstanding work.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I had no clue this type of artwork was able to be done. It has some pretty interesting applications. Very nice work.

A couple more. I'll get more when I go over there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200918_202332.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	525.9 KB 
ID:	37861  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201220_162910.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	233.1 KB 
ID:	37863  

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

How durable is the finish?...I'm thinking handgun and knife grips that would get a lot of handling use......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Ben, I'm told it is very durable but I have no personal experience with the durability of the finish.

This is probably beyond my knowledge of the process, but it is what I understand it to be. I hope I'm correct and, if not, I will post a correction.

The image is printed on a clear carrier film by a commercial endeavor. You can choose to use a stock image, or they will use your image, I'm sure at additional cost. The film is then floated on a water bath and an activator applied which "melts" the film and printed image so that it is floating on the water. The object to be printed is then "dipped" in the floating image which wraps the object with the image. After that comes a really good rinsing to get rid of the activator and carrier film. Then a clear coat is applied in much the same manner. I hope I got this right as I have only watched it being done a couple of times. I can tell you the activator sprayed on the film is probably highly flammable and toxic. It just smells that way!

The results are amazing. I will probably have it done to at least the slide portion of my Springfield Armory Hellcat just to test the longevity and how it wears in a holster.

Do you know what he does to prep the metal or the bone?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Do you know what he does to prep the metal or the bone?
    Not enough to comment, but I'll find out. I do know there is sand blasting, boiling and pressure washing involved.

Looking forward to hearing more about this, Mike.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Another. This is probably my favorite so far. It is the Preamble to the Constitution done in patriotic colors. Very cool!

Camo

Pistol Frame