Thread: For the Capsaicinophiles

For the Capsaicinophiles

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Thank you---I resemble that

I was recently remarking to my wife of a quandary that I am trying to answer.

My introduction to hot foods came in Korea, primarily with their staple kimchi. They use a lot of hot peppers in the creation (more in the winter, less in the summer) of kimchi and then they always "top dress" it at table with a hot pepper paste. I vividly remember my first try of kimchi with the obligatory condiment---and I thought I would die

Fast forward to today----there is nothing about my store bought kimchi that I judge as hot---despite the label claiming it to be. I even have a large bag of Korean pepper powder that I use in great quantities--and still fall short, to get it to my liking I have to add a liberal dose of my home ground habaneros.

My "go to" lunch is kimchi soup---to which I begin with a tablespoon of the Korean pepper powder and 1/2 tsp of my home grind. Before eating I will taste test and add more home grind to get to my comfort level. I do believe that the peppers that I buy in the grocery have been bred down. Those habaneros are not close to what my Amish green grocer is growing---thank goodness. My use of fresh peppers is mostly at breakfast (since it does not include my wife) and now includes one ea, jalapeno, serrano and habanero diced up with my eggs fried on top--and then I add Tabasco and home grind to top that off. I await late summer with great anticipation when I can get more of the "real thing".

I carry my hot pepper grind in my pocket---I don't leave home without it. Unless it is ice cream---I'm going to dose it liberally before consuming!
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-28-2021 at 01:17 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis