Thread: Hammerin' Hank

Hammerin' Hank

RIP, Hank Aaron. We used to go watch him play in the 1960s when we lived in Georgia. Always a gentleman and a gentle man but he could put a real hurtin' on you if you were unwise enough to try an inside fast ball.

Sadly, we have lost another great one. And not just great in baseball, great in life as well.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I saw that today and it made me very sad. I'd like to share a personal story regarding Hank Aaron. I'll try to make it as short as possible. After I got shot in the line of duty I took two months off and went to Panama City Florida. During the interim I worked as a deckhand on a charter boat. I had to be there very early in the morning Way Before Dawn. One early morning I'd stayed out too late partying so I just went straight to the docks. It was about 4:45 a.m. I was sitting there waiting on the captain to get there and this gentleman walked up to me and asked me where the boat owned by the Coca-Cola company is. I said sir is that one right here next to this one ,you going out fishing today? He said yeah I'm going to go out fishing and I told him my story about what happened to me and why I was down there and where I was from. He said man I grew up right near where you were. At that time I stood up stuck my hand out and I said hey my name is Tom he said nice to meet you my name is Hank. Needless to say I got a little weak in the knees because I immediately knew the sports Majesty I was standing in front off. Never will forget that early morning encounter. No pretense from him whatsoever a really nice guy. There is more to the story but I won't bore you with it. We spoke for over an hour.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Great story, Tom. What a memory to have!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

RIP sir---you had a great ride and always stood proud
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis