Thread: Travel in the time of COVID

Travel in the time of COVID

Having been making this drive for 11 years I have established a certain pattern---my fuel stops are programed, rest stops are programmed and so on.

COVID has changed much of that---most disrupting are the rest stops. McDonalds is a reasonably dependable place to stop---they generally maintain their rest rooms. The problem now is that none that I pass, that I have tried are open. The doors are locked and they are only open for drive thru. I also stopped at 2 Exxon stations and both had their rest rooms closed. There is one public rest stop on my drive and that is on the NJ Turnpike. Today I took another route because of an accident----and damn near had my own

I need new way points!
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Naw, just need a slightly altered plan. At the drive- through, order a large drink. Later, use the cup for answering the call of nature.

Remove the straw from the top, natch. Just in case you get thirsty and forget...

I just find a tree or a tall air conditioner and go behind it.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

easy solution

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duro-Med-...ctedSellerId=0

Burt Reynolds wore something similar in a movie where he was in a EST seminar

Or just carry a wide mouth gatoraid bottle
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Now you are bragging...
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Now you are bragging...
    It ain't bragging if you can prove it......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

When you can no longer find a place to pi$$ it may be time to reconsider things.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

This is not as simple as you all might imagine. NJ is the most densely populated state in the nation and the parts of NY that I am traveling in are far in excess of that. Add to that, the fact that I have zero interest in risking a public indecency charge (or whatever applies). I came close on that once when I was still driving my F-350 crew cab. I stopped along the NJ Turnpike in the meadow lands. There was nothing between me and Manhattan other than a few miles of marsh grass and the Hudson River. I had both passenger doors open----and was about half way to relief when the State Police pulled up---and "beeped" his siren. He told me not to do that again--I said I wouldn't---so---I won't

I must admit my amazement that what seems to be the ubiquities convenience store which seems to be on every other block are no place to be found when I get off the highway, in what has been futile searches.

This was now two seeks in a row---there will not be a third----I will have a suitable container with me next week
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Understanding that it's much different in highly populated areas I did see one tip from an experienced Traveler. He noted that hotels generally have a drive-thru in front. He also noted that they usually have restrooms right in the front of the lobby which are generally very clean. He states he has never been questioned when he stopped in front ran in and used the restroom and left.

Dave , i feel your pain. I know the location of every open public facility in the citys of Bossier city and Shreveport.

Now that may be TMI but it fits the thread.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    Dave , i feel your pain. I know the location of every open public facility in the citys of Bossier city and Shreveport.

I wish I had that knowledge of my drive

Honda, I know many salesmen that practice that technique but I was hard pressed to do that yesterday. Of the hotels I passed in my off highway jaunts two of them were "gated" and the other was at the Verizon Headquarters
    in Basking Ridge NJ---we did the hotel there about three years ago--but somehow I didn't feel right about stopping there.

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post

That is the first thing I learn upon entering any building. If they don't have public facilities available I find a new place to do business. (No pun intended!)
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    Burt Reynolds wore something similar in a movie where he was in a EST seminar...
    Saw that movie - consider it a classic.

To the topic - WAY looking forward to traveling again. Sometimes it's as if Covid has stripped us of adulthood.

Wifey and I got the J & J vaccine shots yesterday. YES.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I must be nuts

Signs of returning to normalcy excite me

I get automatic text messages via email and my phone from the Port Authority telling me of any traffic problems on the Geo Washington Bridge or the Lincoln and Holland Tunnel. That has been rather quiet for the past year----but at 7:08 this morning I was happy to get this:

GWB Upper to NY has a delay of 30 minutes due to the general volume of traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Naw, just need a slightly altered plan. At the drive- through, order a large drink. Later, use the cup for answering the call of nature.

Remove the straw from the top, natch. Just in case you get thirsty and forget...
    Kevin, this makes me think of a true story of similar thought.

My Dad and my best friend were out fishing on my Dad's boat. He used a portable toilet onboard. On this particular trip--he forgot to take the potty

So---in a similar solution to what you proposed, they began retreating to the cabin, peeing in their beer cans and slipping them over the side. Obviously, that required another empty beer can---and thus their peeing marathon began---the only thing I can say is that they got back to tell the story