Thread: Never day quit

Never say quit

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department’s top leaders listened in stunned silence this month: One of their peers, they were told, had devised a plan with President Donald J. Trump to oust Jeffrey A. Rosen as acting attorney general and wield the department’s power to force Georgia state lawmakers to overturn its presidential election results.

The unassuming lawyer who worked on the plan, Jeffrey Clark, had been devising ways to cast doubt on the election results and to bolster Mr. Trump’s continuing legal battles and the pressure on Georgia politicians. Because Mr. Rosen had refused the president’s entreaties to carry out those plans, Mr. Trump was about to decide whether to fire Mr. Rosen and replace him with Mr. Clark.
    This is after ousting the US Attorney in Georgia for not going along with the fraud line, as reported by the WSJ.

Gotta give Trump kudos. His corruption is relentless. I just wish he had shown this sort of energy with respect to the pandemic.
    Last edited by Kevin; 01-23-2021 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    This is after ousting the US Attorney in Georgia for not going along with the fraud line, as reported by the WSJ.

Gotta give Trump kudos. His corruption is relentless. I just wish he had shown this sort of energy with respect to the pandemic.
    I'm just glad he's gone before managing to overthrow the government.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'm just glad he's gone before managing to overthrow the government.
    Bingo
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

More on this from "Letters from an American" by Heather Cox Richardson:

It turns out that, in the last, desperate days of his attempt to keep his grip on the presidency, Trump plotted with a lawyer in the Department of Justice, Jeffrey Clark, to oust the acting attorney general. The plan was to replace Jeffrey A. Rosen, who replaced Attorney General William Barr when he left on December 23, with Clark himself. Clark would then press Trump’s attacks on the election results.
    A story by Katie Benner in the New York Times explains that as soon as Rosen replaced Barr, Trump began to pressure Rosen to challenge the election results, appoint special counsels to investigate disproven voter fraud, and look into irregularities in the Dominion voting machines (Dominion is now suing pro-Trump lawyer Sidney Powell for defamation). Rosen refused. He told Trump the Justice Department had found no evidence of anything that would have changed the election results.
    Trump complained about Rosen and moved to replace him with Clark, who promised to stop Congress from counting the certified Electoral College votes on January 6. This struggle came to a crisis on Sunday, January 3, 2021, when the news broke that Trump had called Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger to pressure him to “find” the votes Trump needed to win the state. That evening, the senior officials at the Department of Justice agreed to resign as a group if Trump put Clark in as the new acting attorney general.
    The vow that the leaders of the Department of Justice would quit if Trump tried to demote Rosen and put Clark in his place made Trump back off from his plan to pervert the Department of Justice. Three days later, rioters stormed the Capitol.
    Not only is that disgraceful, it is scary that anyone in the office of POTUS would have such disregard for the law and the Constitution. It is beyond my scope to understand how anyone continues to support this.

Added in edit: More on Jeffery Clark (a big man with the Federalist) who seems to still be employed at the DOJ---I hope that is soon terminated

This from the Daily Beast:

Jeffrey Clark, the Justice Department attorney who reportedly schemed with the president to oust the acting attorney general, also played a leading role in bringing the DOJ to the president’s defense in a defamation case filed against him personally. The New York Times reported Friday that Clark and Donald Trump had hatched a plan to push out acting Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen in order to cast doubt on the results of the presidential election in Georgia. According to federal court filings, Clark also served as one of the lead attorneys for Trump in the suit filed against him by E. Jean Carroll, an advice columnist who accuses him of defamation. Trump has denied Carroll’s claim that he raped her in a Manhattan department store decades ago.

The Justice Department made the controversial move in September to defend Trump in the lawsuit, which was filed against him in his personal capacity, saying Trump was “acting within the scope of his office as President of the United States.” Clark appears to have signed off personally on the decision for the DOJ to intervene, according to the court documents. Carroll wrote on Twitter Friday of Clark, “This is the chump who filed the DOJ case against me, saying it was the President's job to slander women. The Trump Presidency was corrupt right down to the core of its spleen.”
    ...a regular trump mole---ambition, unrestrained, is seldom a good thing.

More from Esquire:

The sudden civil war between the Department of Justice and Camp Runamuck escalated on Thursday when the DOJ 86'ed the administration*'s mole in its offices. From the AP:

Heidi Stirrup, an ally of top Trump adviser Stephen Miller, was quietly installed at the Justice Department as a White House liaison a few months ago. She was told within the last two weeks to vacate the building after top Justice officials learned of her efforts to collect insider information about ongoing cases and the department’s work on election fraud, the people said...
    Stirrup had also extended job offers to political allies for positions at some of the highest levels of the Justice Department without consulting any senior department officials or the White House counsel’s office and also attempted to interfere in the hiring process for career staffers, a violation of the government’s human resources policies, one of the people said.
    This development, of course, comes hard against the news that the president* may be considering firing Attorney General William Barr because, on the subject of the president*'s insane comments about the election that he lost, Barr proved to be merely 99.9999999999 percent sycophant. The flopsweat in the West Wing is high, indeed. But the case of Ms. Stirrup is a different kind of thing. This was an attempt to pump DOJ employees for information that could back up the president*'s fantasies.

You may recall that, in the immediate aftermath of the Trump inauguration, Trump loyalists were fanned out throughout the executive bureaucracy, mainly for an informant's duties, while the administration* left hundreds of other posts vacant. That process has accelerated since it became clear that there would be no second term. It seems as though this presidency* is ending the way it began—with clumsy palace intrigue, serial incompetence, and an atmosphere of galloping paranoia. These people would've loved East Germany.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-23-2021 at 10:37 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Good God. Corrupt from head to toe. It is really hard to imagine the depth of the corruption and the lengths people were willing to go to abet it. I spent my career in federal government and I've never seen a group of people so cultlike in their devotion to one man. It isn't even a set of principles. It is one man.

Why does he inspire such devotion? I can't stand the guy and yet, here are a group of people willing to lie, cheat and steal for him. What is it about him that people find so damned appealing?

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    I understand that there are always going to be people who plot and scheme and cheat and lie..

But what scares me are the number of people out there who would support the above.. support it because they believe someone rigged, fixed or stole the election.. a siblings in-laws.. I see these distant in-laws at weddings and funerals.. you would think of them as having average powers of reason.. anyway, they support the above and truly believe in the conspiracy

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Good God. Corrupt from head to toe. It is really hard to imagine the depth of the corruption and the lengths people were willing to go to abet it. I spent my career in federal government and I've never seen a group of people so cultlike in their devotion to one man. It isn't even a set of principles. It is one man.

Why does he inspire such devotion? I can't stand the guy and yet, here are a group of people willing to lie, cheat and steal for him. What is it about him that people find so damned appealing?
    He is a vessel for anger. This country has a middle aged white guy problem, not a republican problem.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

I recall in 2016 telling my wife that I just wasn't angry enough to participate in the election. There was one picture of a teenager at a MAGA rally, face contorted in rage, screaming some response and I'm thinking, he's a teenager. What's he got to be so worked up about?

Trump was at least cathartic.