Thread: A more normal day

A more normal day

..at least the "new normal".

This morning I designed the steel frame for a 10' long marble desk. The marble will be Bronze Fantasy, which can be striking. The entire desk will be clad in marble.

Now this afternoon, beginning at 1, I will "Zoom out" for the week---so it goes in the covid world
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Designed? Shoot, give me some angle iron and an arc welder and I'll set you up in no time. Really, you engineers make too much of what is a simple process. Besides, if you clad it in marble, no one ever sees the cob job underneath, so just free hand it. Should look relatively decent.

Zooming here as well. I'm hoping to get back to a time when I did not know what Zooming meant.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

No zoom here. I do a lot of Skype screen sharing though....

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Designed? Shoot, give me some angle iron and an arc welder and I'll set you up in no time. Really, you engineers make too much of what is a simple process. Besides, if you clad it in marble, no one ever sees the cob job underneath, so just free hand it. Should look relatively decent.
    I'm afraid you would be in deep trouble Kevin.

The American Marble Institute limits the maximum deflection of marble to 1/1000 of an inch per inch of span---this desk has a span of 111 inches--thus max deflection at midspan is 0.111". The edge detail shown by the designer allows me only enough space to use a 1.5" high tube. I have the same limits on the ends. The dead load of the top is 420 lbs (marble plus 3/4" plywood beneath). This is also clad underneath, doubling the dead load to 840 lbs. Then add to that a live load of 250 lbs applied at center of the span and 6" back from the edge. (I have one designer that requires 500 lb live loads).

This frame has a center spine that is a 4" x 2" x 3/8" thick tube. This is not to be taken lightly----cracked marble makes for bad days

Below is a simple isometric of this frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	37838  

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Yeah, yer gonna need some sort of center leg, for certain. Tough to make it look right but with a nice veneered modesty screen, you could put one in pretty easy.

A 10 foot desk? Out of marble? Who's he trying to impress? Bet his bank account is impressive or at least was until he got this edifice complex.

And a 500 lbs live load? What's he doing on that desk? Never mind. I don't wanna know...

And a 500 lbs live load? What's he doing on that desk? Never mind. I don't wanna know...
    I'll tell you......
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Yeah, yer gonna need some sort of center leg, for certain. Tough to make it look right but with a nice veneered modesty screen, you could put one in pretty easy.

A 10 foot desk? Out of marble? Who's he trying to impress? Bet his bank account is impressive or at least was until he got this edifice complex.
    My job is to make what the designer envisions suitable, without altering the looks. A leg in the center would be out of the question.
    This desk is for a very high profile financial house, the name you would immediately recognize. I am not going to share the price for this but I am being fairly compensated. Also, one of the reasons that I get these kinds of projects is that they know I am not going to whine about needing to make aesthetic changes.

Go t&m and post-tension that baby.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

I'm just busting on ya. Soon as you said marble it was clear this was not for working at. It was to impress people.

Of course, I worked for most of my career at a steel desk, made in the 1960s. Still in use by my successor. Such is the life of a humble civil servant. I had to rely on my debonair manner and my indefatigable elan to impress people.

Steelcase made those desks probably by the millions.

I have done many "C" suite desks that go far up in five figures. We pretty much own that market in NYC and Boston.

Most remain wood, some with leather or stone inserts. Marble is not the most practical since it is not a good writing surfaces