Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andy Harris and the Metal Detector

Andy Harris and the Metal Detector

Apparently, Andy Harris, R-MD, tried to pass through the new metal detectors at the House Chamber door while carrying a gun. Guns have long been verboten on the House floor. Interesting. I wonder how many lawmakers were packing before the metal detectors went up. And why would you, especially now with the Capitol filled with troops?

I confess to never having understood the desire to carry a gun in public. For me, it is just too much responsibility.

You ever been to DC?
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Yes. Twice with family and several times as a federal worker. Never felt threatened. Of course, that could have been my natural obliviousness.

I didn’t either until we went to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial (my wife’s grandpa is on it). It’s a little off the beaten path. I’m pretty sure I was the only one unarmed on that back block.

I have to ask. Why should anyone care if the congressmen carries? What business is it of theirs?

don"

Because it is against the rules of the House. Can't claim to be a law abiding gun owner and not follow the rules of your community.

I get nervous when I consider how many people I know personally carry a firearm and have absolutely no training in how to use it. It becomes my business at that point.

I have spent years working in "bad" places, unarmed and unharmed.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Exactly. So why the need to disarm me?

don"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Because it is against the rules of the House. Can't claim to be a law abiding gun owner and not follow the rules of your community.

I get nervous when I consider how many people I know personally carry a firearm and have absolutely no training in how to use it. It becomes my business at that point.
    And yet here you are. Maybe both sides are being a little dramatic.

I’m still a little unclear on the rules of the house. I thought it was ok and nanny nancy was going to fix that loophole? I confess to not following it......too busy digging holes.

don"

Well, the results of misuse can be pretty dramatic. A natural caution seems warranted. Not to open a can of worms but you I wouldn't care about carrying because I know you. I can't say that about others.

And there are some I know and would not want to be armed. Your Congress critter is one. Someone who seems to go out of her way to provoke angry confrontation is not, in my opinion, temperamentally suited to carry in public. No law against it but my opinions are not constrained by the present legal standards.

I'm not an expert on Congressional rules but whatever they are they are. I would say though it is not unusual at all for judges Federal and otherwise to pack in the courthouse both on the bench and in their office. I'm not saying all of them do it because they don't but they can and some do.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    You ever been to DC?
    I didn’t either until we went to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial (my wife’s grandpa is on it). It’s a little off the beaten path. I’m pretty sure I was the only one unarmed on that back block.
    You may have been the only one unarmed because the memorial is across from Metropolitan Police Headquarters..

Sorry.. but you were not in a bad part of town.. between the Police/Courts complex and the Builders museum.. a block from the Verizon Center (basketball and hockey) and Chinatown.. (FOP Clubhouse is next to builders museum)..

Nope.. not a bad section of town.. not at all.. it is not up by the zoo with the Million $$$ houses (and pedophile Pizza shop) but not bad..

I have lived around DC my entire adult life.. worked in DC off and on.. go to Chinatown at midnight, concerts at Verizon Center.. never a problem..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    You may have been the only one unarmed because the memorial is across from Metropolitan Police Headquarters..

Sorry.. but you were not in a bad part of town.. between the Police/Courts complex and the Builders museum.. a block from the Verizon Center (basketball and hockey) and Chinatown.. (FOP Clubhouse is next to builders museum)..

Nope.. not a bad section of town.. not at all..
    So, if you are saying it is not near where the congress critters congregate, it sounds like a better part of town.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post

Nope.. not a bad section of town.. not at all.. it is not up by the zoo with the Million $$$ houses (and pedophile Pizza shop) but not bad..

I have lived around DC my entire adult life.. worked in DC off and on.. go to Chinatown at midnight, concerts at Verizon Center.. never a problem..
    I’m just basing my opinion on what I think I saw. As I remember, we took a side street shortcut getting back to the main drag.

We stayed in a BIG Marriott over by the zoo. Rode the subway/train thing every day. The monkeys at the zoo who spray the people with water were the best. Great trip.

don"

....... The monkeys at the zoo who spray the people with water were the best. Great trip.
    Ah! So you did visit the Capitol building!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    It’s a pretty quiet section of town..

DC is divided into four quadrants.. NW, Northwest, being the more fashionable.. Whitehouse, Georgetown, fancy houses all in NW..

DC is also a grid.. LEO Memorial is 4/5 blocks West and 4/5 D/F st blocks North of the Capital.. DC Courts and Police HQ..

The big sports arena is 6/7th & F/G with Chinatown along H st.. this is Times Square of DC.. always crowded..

Congress people could congregate at fancy bars at 7th & Hst.. or many blocks away..DuPont Circle (23rd & P ) or Georgetown

LEO Memorial would be extra safe because 50% of everyone around there is LEO.. bad guys know that there is low chance of success there..

I used to do event work or go to sports arena.. would always walk down 9th from F to Constitution (Bst).. 9h street after dark I’d full of people in the shadows, they are all security officers for he FBI/DaoJ headquarters

The zoo is the best Bart of town.. Connecticut Ave..