Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Andy Harris and the Metal Detector

There is a real lack of humor appreciation in this thread...

I admit that my mind wandered to politicians throwing poop. Then I remembered that probably none of them can even throw. All thanks to Mike.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

I go armed. It is something I have done for the past 39 years of my life as a part of my job. I am mostly retired now, but I am still a commissioned peace officer albeit in a reserve capacity, but still bearing full peace officer powers. I have no intention of personally exercising those powers unless I witness a crime where bodily injury or death is likely to happen. Otherwise I will observe and report until whatever local authority can take control of the situation. But I will still be armed for my protection and for the unlikely case where others may need my help. In my 39 years of being a peace officer I was fortunate to have never discharged my weapon at another human. I hope that can stand for the rest of my life.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I go armed. It is something I have done for the past 39 years of my life as a part of my job. I am mostly retired now, but I am still a commissioned peace officer albeit in a reserve capacity, but still bearing full peace officer powers. I have no intention of personally exercising those powers unless I witness a crime where bodily injury or death is likely to happen. Otherwise I will observe and report until whatever local authority can take control of the situation. But I will still be armed for my protection and for the unlikely case where others may need my help. In my 39 years of being a peace officer I was fortunate to have never discharged my weapon at another human. I hope that can stand for the rest of my life.
    Mike, You I trust with a firearm, the average yahoo with a gun is a danger to everyone around them as they lack the proper discipline and training to handle them properly under stress.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

To your point Eric----last night I saw this news clip---it points out the danger of being armed and unprepared---with a wrench
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    To your point Eric----last night I saw this news clip---it points out the danger of being armed and unprepared---
    I think it points out the danger of being too stupid to be left unsupervised.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I think it points out the danger of being too stupid to be left unsupervised.
    Maybe a song is in order for that---"don't take a wrench to a fist fight son"
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis