Thread: Biden to Sign Buy American Order for Government Procurement

Biden to Sign Buy American Order for Government Procurement

From this morning's WSJ:
    WASHINGTON—President Biden will sign an executive order Monday imposing tougher rules on government procurement practices to increase purchases of products made in the U.S., a step toward fulfilling his Buy American campaign pledge to strengthen domestic manufacturing.

The new policies will include tightening the government procurement rules to make it harder for federal agencies to purchase imported products, revising the definition of American-made products and raising local-content requirements. The executive order also ensures that small and midsize businesses will have better access to information needed to bid for government contracts.

While their styles are different, Mr. Biden’s Buy American initiative has similarities to Mr. Trump’s domestic preference policy, which was part of his America First policy that featured tariff wars with China and other trading partners.

Mr. Biden’s Buy American policy is being watched closely by America’s allies, which are hoping for friendlier trade relationships than during the Trump administration. Mr. Biden has repeatedly said he would work more closely with allies and multilateral trade rules.
    I have mixed feelings about this. Run correctly, it can benefit our economy, our producers and our work force, run poorly it can become a crutch for poor performance.

In the early 70's the Buy American act, which dates back to 1933 was being rigidly enforced (we were in a recession). To specify any product not available from a US based producer required submitting it for review and approval to a Federal review board. At the time, it was seen as a giant pain in the ass for design engineers and architects. I can't say how well it created the intended results.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-25-2021 at 03:41 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    Sounds good, but what if he wakes up?
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.

I agree, the devil will be in the details. It’s a fact that there are some things we don’t make here.

We used to have a real problem with domestic rebar down in Az. Cement used to be a problem but the Mexicans increased their US production. We had to buy “super jumbo” sections from Luxembourg.

Getting granted an exception was a nightmare.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Rightwing View Post
    That will be of short duration, probably nothing to worry about. I hope!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Rightwing View Post
    He'll find Harris has been signing his name again. SUPER awkward!!

At the same time it would be nice if we can shift much of our Pharmaceutical manufacturing back to the country. Several of the generic prescriptions that I have are made in China. Just don't like that idea.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    At the same time it would be nice if we can shift much of our Pharmaceutical manufacturing back to the country. Several of the generic prescriptions that I have are made in China. Just don't like that idea.
    Amen! We shouldn't depend on China for anything, you can bet we will eventually be at war with them. We should especially not buy things like drugs that need quality control.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke