At least in its present form.

The ability to filibuster was a mistake from Aaron Burr's tenure as VP. The ability to close debate by a simple majority was known as moving the previous question. The Senate got rid of it in 1806 because no one had thought to use the ability for unlimited debate to obstruct business. That is all it is - a means of obstruction. Nothing more. I thought differently before watching it used by Republicans in the Obama Administration. I don't see any use for it anymore.

If it is kept, it should be kept in its original form - you can obstruct for as long as you can stay on your feet talking. The record for that was held by Strom Thurmond, who spoke for just over 24 hours. That's fine by me. What they do now is just indicate that object and they don't actually have to hold the floor to obstruct. Too easy. Far too easy. And a recalcitrant minority can use it to keep anything from happening. It is how we ended up using the budget reconciliation process to actually pass a budget instead of regular order.

Get rid of it.