Thread: As trump doubles down like a obstinate two year old

As trump doubles down like a obstinate two year old

He could not do a better job in putting a stamp of failure on his term in office---and as he works hard to tear himself down---other are standing up and offering him help in doing that:

In the past two days, there have been more indications that members of the Trump administration were behind the January 6 coup attempt. Yesterday, Richard Lardner and Michelle R. Smith of the Associated Press broke the story that, far from being a grassroots rally, the event of January 6 that led to the storming of the Capitol was organized and staffed by members of Trump’s presidential campaign team. These staffers have since tried to distance themselves from it, deleting their social media accounts and refusing to answer questions from reporters.
    A number of the arrested insurrectionists have claimed that they were storming the Capitol because the president told them to. According to lawyers Teri Kanefield and Mark Reichel, writing in the Washington Post, this is known as the “public authority” defense, meaning that if someone in authority tells you it’s okay to break a law, that advice is a defense when you are arrested. It doesn’t mean you won’t be punished, but it is a defense. It also means that the person offering you that instruction is more likely to be prosecuted.
    The second impeachment, popular outcry, and continuing stories about the likely involvement of administration figures in the coup attempt seem to have trimmed Trump’s wings in his last days in office.
    I pray that all the gory details come out in the impeachment trial and trump's slide into that of a criminal only accelerates.

I await the first of what will surely be unending law suits to be filed on Thursday.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I read that this morning. Four former campaign aides, Melania's top aide, Mick Mulvaney's niece - all in keeping with Trump's way of sending others to do the dirty work while keeping his hands clean.

The head of Oathkeepers, a right wing anti-government militia, has been charged with conspiracy in the insurrection.

Twelve National Guardsmen have been removed from the forces guarding the Capitol, two for pots on right wing militia websites.

This is going to go deep before it's over.

Don't be surprised if Trump grants them all a last minute pardon.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

You may be right. If he does, he can count on conviction at his impeachment trial. He will have just ensured minority status for the Republican party. The suburbs will be gone for good. Republicans will become a regional party only, with only the power to obstruct left.

Trump will be king of the 30% he has always maintained, but that's it. Republicans would be better served by cutting him loose and repositioning as a center right party. Like it used to be.

I was encouraged today by McConnell's statements about the invasion of the capital. He clearly linked that to trump and through trump under the bus. I hope he has the courage to vote that way

The first step to try to save the party is to convict trump

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    ....... Republicans would be better served by cutting him loose and repositioning as a center right party. Like it used to be.
    I agree.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke