Thread: How things have changed

How things have changed

The energy business would possibly be best described as being in disarray. I hold two formally good performing oil related stocks, now both in bankruptcy and worthless. As for my "own" producer portion, I just got my year end check---they have not pumped anything since Oct. 20th at the cottage. I haven't seen anything on the others--I'm guessing the same. The price, $0.92 to $1.13 /MCF.

Such is the life of an oil Barron
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

That is actually good news. We as a country should prepare ourselves to be completely done with fossil fuels. It can't get here fast enough. Luckily president-elect Biden has already said that he was going to close certain Pipelines first day in office. Hopefully with the encouragement of some of the younger members of Congress we can all be on battery powered personal vehicles sooner rather than later.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

just a quick question here . Just WHERE is the power coming from to charge all those " battery " powered cars ?. And while you are answering that , take a look at the earth where the minerals to make those batteries comes from.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

IV said:
    Just WHERE is the power coming from to charge all those " battery " powered cars ?
    Well sir---I wouldn't mind a bit if it comes from my wells
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Update : https://www.mining.com/eight-mines-t...demand-report/

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=glencores+...C490%26ssl%3D1

I think what I am trying to say is ; there are drawbacks to every type of energy production we use. Be it fossil fuels Wind [ dead birds and noise pollution plus wind farms on every hill ] Solar + HUGE areas of panel fields you name it. There are drawbacks to everything we do .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

I'll believe that electric vehicles are for real when they make an electric-powered 1 ton truck that can haul a fifth wheel up over Donner Pass.

Until then, I'll enjoy the lower prices for gasoline as I drive my 1976 Eldorado down the Blue Ridge Parkway, then the Natchez Trace, all the way to the Big Easy. That's a trip I have planned for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I'll believe that electric vehicles are for real when they make an electric-powered 1 ton truck that can haul a fifth wheel up over Donner Pass.

Until then, I'll enjoy the lower prices for gasoline as I drive my 1976 Eldorado down the Blue Ridge Parkway, then the Natchez Trace, all the way to the Big Easy. That's a trip I have planned for next year.
    Enjoy it while you can change is a-coming.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Yep, no doubt. It is inevitable. I sometimes think that I was born in the last days of the traditional United States. My childhood summers were lazy days of looking at clouds or catching frogs. People went to church and knew their neighbors because they sat out on their porches at night to enjoy the gloaming. If I sound like John Boy Walton, it is because my upbringing was pretty traditional and old-fashioned. We visited relatives, at big family dinners during Holy Week and believed in the goodness of our country and our fellow Americans.

Them days are gone. So, I'll enjoy my car while I can. It is one of the last reminders of a different time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

I just returned from a trip to New Orleans ( uncle died)... It's not what it use to be.

I've heard that from others. I'm not going there primarily for the bon temps, though. I'm looking at the history of the area. I want to ride a sternwheeler, dance under the stars on a sultry night with a jazz band's sounds wafting through the night. I want to visit old plantations, see the French Quarter, imagine the sounds of street sellers singing their wares on humid mornings as the city starts to wake up.

Yeah, I'm a romantic. Can't help it.

I'll second what Bo said. My wife has numerous Kinfolk down there so therefore I have to go more times than I clearly want to. If you've never been you'll probably enjoy it. I'm not so sure you'll want to go back so take it in the first time.

When you go , make sure you visit the WW11 museum. It is FANTASTIC.

A few suggestions for you to consider Kevin:

Preservation Hall, they are closed now because of the virus but I hope that will be behind us by the time of your trip. It is a unique "group". The band is fluid.
    There are "official" band members that come and go plus musicians playing at clubs in the quarter who come and go to play with the band as well. Imagine a nonstop jam session. They are in an old warehouse not far off Bourbon St.

Willie Mae's Scotch House---sole food with fantastic fried chicken.

Brennan's--the originator's of bananas foster---its a show.

Enjoy!