Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Migrant movement

Migrant movement

I saw a clip of thousands of migrants moving through Central America on the way to the US. In the clips I saw local law enforcement beating them with sticks as they tried to push through. I am hoping that after Wednesday President Biden will call for an immediate ceasing of the violence against these migrants which could impede their movement to the US and to become citizens.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

That's a real shame---those poor souls

Obviously, they haven't heard that trump built a wall thirty feet high from sea to sea which was paid for by Mexico out of the kindness of their hearts and in honor of trump

Such a shame---but then again some of them might be coming in search of their kids--it would be nice if we could find em
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

From what I've read, many of these people are fleeing areas without enough food or are overrun by criminals preying on them and getting no help from a moribund government. Yes, stopping the beatings would be a boon to them. I wonder how a person who has endured so much would react to even the smallest of human kindnesses - just being allowed to live without violence.

And whoever gives one of these little ones even a cup of cold water because he is a disciple, truly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward.”

I don't believe anyone would set out on a trek like that if they thought they had any other options---that has to be the ultimate in desperation.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I read somewhere that one of the Biden Administration officials said that they weren't ready yet for this amount of migrants trying to enter the country. I would suggest as soon as President Biden takes office that he reallocate as many covid vaccines that would be necessary to vaccinate all of these migrants as they are being welcomed to our country. I also hope that the new Administration will build receiving homes for these migrants near the border somewhere in the line of a mid-level hotel group so that they will be comfortable while their admission is being expedited.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
    Amen

Now if there was the same amount of compassion for the thousands of homeless AMERICANS , many then I could say a good thing about biden. Oh, and Trump was no better where homelessness was concerned .
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

WOW things have changed towards migrants it use to be yea Trump now its poor souls let them all in and give them housing and comfort. Probably won't even check any of them just open the flood gates. Sounds like the politicians nobody can make up their mind. You can forget the Americans IV they had their chance!
    This is your mind on drugs!

I think of my response more in the way I approach the problem than a specific set of policies. There is a moral dimension to the issue which I think should be guiding whatever we decide to do.

Not everything is all about conservative vs liberal. My position on this issue is partly a result of my religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    Now if there was the same amount of compassion for the thousands of homeless AMERICANS , many then I could say a good thing about biden. Oh, and Trump was no better where homelessness was concerned .
    IV---I did not mention our "own" homeless since that isn't what we were discussing. However, I have the same compassion for them as a group---with the understanding there are some that choose that life.

I am also not suggesting we open the borders and invite the world in--we need not only to be compassionate, we need to be responsible.

I firmly believe the "solution" to the migration from the south lies at the source. Help fix the problems were they live, including giving them hope for tomorrow and they have no need to try to come here.

How to do that---I don't have that answer, I am an engineer not a sociologist. If I were to venture a guess, I would imagine it like helping a man out of a deep hole with unscaleable walls--pass a ladder down to him and then the exit from that hole becomes his solution and his success---he earned it. Nothing gets fixed without trying.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-19-2021 at 03:02 PM.

Hey , Hey , Hey , Something we can totally agree on. Could be there is a chance for unity after all.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    Hey , Hey , Hey , Something we can totally agree on. Could be there is a chance for unity after all.
    IV---"what unites us is far greater than what divides us" to quote JFK.

Something must be done about separating children from their families. It seems it would be appropriate to give priority to those migrants with a priority entry program. In order to facilitate that the Biden Administration must move immediately towards building some family style housing near the border so that the family units can be kept together in a safe place conducive of a nurturing environment. For children that are school age we must work diligently to see to it that they are continuing their education at whatever level they should be. That way when they are admitted as full US citizens they will be able to compete in our schools to prepare themselves for good-paying jobs so they can support their families.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Something must be done about separating children from their families. It seems it would be appropriate to give priority to those migrants with a priority entry program. In order to facilitate that the Biden Administration must move immediately towards building some family style housing near the border so that the family units can be kept together in a safe place conducive of a nurturing environment. For children that are school age we must work diligently to see to it that they are continuing their education at whatever level they should be. That way when they are admitted as full US citizens they will be able to compete in our schools to prepare themselves for good-paying jobs so they can support their families.
    See how easy that was?
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.