Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Migrant movement

I call BS on all of this! Illegal means just that, illegal. That means criminal entry, by definition, and we have enough criminals here already. Hell, we grow criminals here.

Now, if someone wants to enter our country legally, I have no problem with that. Legally means going through the proper channels, completing the paper work and qualifying for legal entry. If they do that, I welcome them. But all of this illegal crap has to stop.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

There's a lot to be said for that point of view.

What I'm concerned about is ensuring that if we decide to follow that path, we do so in a way that is morally acceptable. A policy that sought to stem the tide by terrorizing parents through separating them from their parents is not acceptable. In October, emails surfaced that showed that Jeff Sessions, at the behest of Trump, undertook the separations to terrorize parents into not seeking asylum. That is depraved.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Now, if someone wants to enter our country legally, I have no problem with that. Legally means going through the proper channels, completing the paper work and qualifying for legal entry. If they do that, I welcome them. But all of this illegal crap has to stop.
    Agree...

asylum needs to be paused for a while....

I don't think anyone is calling for an open border.

I also am not in favor of a policy that just clamps down on the border and refuses to let anyone in. I realize that is not being called for by anyone here but neither is an open border.

The issue cannot be solved through law enforcement alone. There is a mass migration of people, coming in waves, towards our southern border. King Canute found the limits of his power when he ordered the tide not to come in to shore. Walls, Border Patrol agents, terror campaigns - none of these things will work. What we need to figure out is how to manage the process. It is as impossible to stop as the tide.

I don't agree that illegal immigrants are criminals in the same sense that someone who robs a grocery store is. Yes, they committed a crime by being here but walking over a border uninvited does not make them Dillinger. There's criminals and criminals.

The last thing we need is migrant camps on our border. Those places are hell on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I call BS on all of this! Illegal means just that, illegal. That means criminal entry, by definition, and we have enough criminals here already. Hell, we grow criminals here.

Mike I tend to agree with you in some respects in principle. However I've also reviewed the immigration and migration policies that have been set forth by the by the Biden Administration and more migration and immigration is inevitable along with amnesty for many millions of current illegal immigrants as they are often referred to. So if that's going to be the way forward we must do it right from the beginning and make sure that we do it in a way that I have set forth above otherwise we will continue to be in a situation that the previous administration has been widely condemned for mishandling for many years. The electorate has spoken and they have determined that we need to embark on a much different path. Given the rhetoric that was stated by soon-to-be President Biden during the campaign I was somewhat shocked today to learn that there would be no changes regarding ice enforcement. I guess we'll all have to wait and see how the campaign promises match real world policies.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

One of the things I was glad to hear was that amnesty and a path to citizenship was being offered for those already here illegally. There is no use in punishing this group by forcing them to live in the shadows and be taken advantage of. Similarly, DACA is being resolved. These are humanitarian moves that I support.

I'm also hopeful that a public option for Obamacare will be offered so that these people can have their health needs seen to. Heal the sick is a commandment from Jesus Himself and he did not make any qualifications on that.

Yes, healthcare is a necessity from this Administration. I'm hoping they make that a priority from day one. We already have Europe and Canada who have very successful Public Health coverage that we can use to model a successful United States policy. I would readily give up my Blue Cross Blue Shield $40 cash co-pay insurance to be able to walk in walk out without paying a dime. Hopefully the Democrats will make good on their promise during the campaign.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I'm confused... I agree the DACA kids should be able to becomes citizens but free health care for illegal aliens? I pay out the ass for my health care, how can I get it for free?????

You could say the same about groceries. You pay out the ass for food but you could get it for free by going on welfare. Are you sure you are willing to make that trade?

Besides, Biden is about to give them a path towards citizenship. At that point, they would simply be poor Americans, not illegal immigrants. We have had programs to provide for the poor for a long time.

I agree I don't think the people would have any problem at all with paying higher taxes to provide for a new large immigrant population. After all the electorate put Biden in office and as well gave him a congress that would be able to do his bidding so obviously it was clearly set out in the campaign that Biden was going to raise taxes and also provide for our immigrant population. This should be no surprise to anyone. This is what the voters approved in the last election.

Well, I think that for the most part, the votes for Biden were mostly about getting rid of Trump, not voting for anything in particular, unless it was a return to normalcy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

The last thing we need is migrant camps on our border. Those places are hell on earth.
    By all means, move them to the heartland. I know, lets use all those covid field hospitals we never used. How about that hospital ship that served 77 patients? We could send them on a cruise!

Our government is so good at this stuff we should jump at every opportunity.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    I agree I don't think the people would have any problem at all with paying higher taxes to provide for a new large immigrant population. After all the electorate put Biden in office and as well gave him a congress that would be able to do his bidding so obviously it was clearly set out in the campaign that Biden was going to raise taxes and also provide for our immigrant population. This should be no surprise to anyone. This is what the voters approved in the last election.
    Sarcasm is the lowest form of humor, but my favorite also.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    By all means, move them to the heartland. I know, lets use all those covid field hospitals we never used. How about that hospital ship that served 77 patients? We could send them on a cruise!

Our government is so good at this stuff we should jump at every opportunity.
    For a cruise, I'd show up at the border myself.

For us Northerners, the Heartland begins with any state not on the border. Wouldn't that mean Colorado?