Thread: Corn Mush

Corn Mush

As a kid, we on occasion, would have corn mush at breakfast. Today it would be called polenta, which is made from corn meal. My Mother would make it in a loaf pan, the same pans as were used to make scrapple and souse. It would be sliced about 1/2" thick, fried in either lard or butter (since we produced both) and then served with maple syrup, apple butter or jelly on top---also all home made.

Thursday I was at the butcher shop for a restocking and in the meat case was corn mush---and labeled corn mush. So--I had to bring some home and this morning had a slice with my eggs---without the now off limits toppings---and it was good. I likely will repeat this buy when I see it

I offered to share with my wife---but her childhood memories of corn mush apparently were not as fond as mine
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Looking at some recipes it doesn't look a lot different than cornbread other than the way you cook it and cornbread uses milk and egg instead of water. Yet you don't like cornbread.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Looking at some recipes it doesn't look a lot different than cornbread other than the way you cook it and cornbread uses milk and egg instead of water. Yet you don't like cornbread.
    There are a few more differences. The flour is ground much finer than is the flour used in corn bread and I don't care for the texture. The other thing with many corn breads is that they are made with sugar and I don't like the sweet taste. I'm much better with ones made without sugar. When I am down south I always ask the wait staff if there is sugar in their cornbread---sometimes they lie

A little while ago I ordered a bag of polenta meal in the expectation of being able to increase the variety in my home menu planning---however, that was a dismal failure. My wife did not like it--so I ended up giving it away. She is not normally picky but that one was judged a nono We don't eat a lot of starches anyway so it isn't a big hit to the menu board.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis