Thread: Vaccine rollout

Vaccine rollout

Anyone else incredulous at the face plant our governors are doing getting vaccines into bodies? They poor mouth and say they were not given the resources they needed but this is on them.

They knew from April at least that distribution would be their responsibility. Yes, the feds should have been involved but everyone has known for nine months that wasn't going to happen. In my state, they are just now starting to train a cadre of vaccinators. Why wasn't that happening this summer, when we were not in a crisis? Why wasn't there a plan in place when they had mine months to come up with one? Everyone saw the virus surge coming.

In 36 years of government, I saw that the standard come-back for any poor performance by an employee was to blame someone else's failure. "You didn't give me what I needed to be successful so my failure is not my fault."

Sounds real familiar to what I'm hearing now.

They are doing a pretty good job around here... 2 HUGE sites for drive up shots and multiple smaller places available... Starting Tue it's 65+. Currently 75+ (and healthcare workers, first responders etc...)

Even when I qualify I plan to wait until the boosters are administered to masses before stepping up. I have shell fish allergies and hear that can trigger a reaction....
    Last edited by Phillbo; 01-15-2021 at 01:00 PM.

Horrible here. You need an appointment but the site is down. You can call a number but "we are experiencing high call volume, please try later". Emails going out to thousands with an "oops, we took your appointment before the site was ready for implementation, please make another appointment". My Mom's appointment is Feb 26. We live in an extremely rural area.

Sites are running out of vaccine before everyone with an appointment gets it, other places wasting vaccine.

It is a mess here.

Truthfully, did you expect anything more?
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Yes, I did.

I did a lot of planning and implementation as a government employee. I would have been fired if I had messed up this badly. Not all government employees are incompetent. Some of us are actually good at what we do.

I'm one county over from Bo. They still don't know what to do. Appointments are booked til who knows how long. SO???????????
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

In late Nov Trump said the military was waiting to distribute the vaccine. He would use every man and every truck.

https://apnews.com/article/donald-tr...4652f5fda75194
    When you've never seen the elephant, it's really
    easy to imagine yourself swingin' it by the tail

Quote Originally Posted by Roland_Jenkins View Post
    In late Nov Trump said the military was waiting to distribute the vaccine. He would use every man and every truck.

https://apnews.com/article/donald-tr...4652f5fda75194
    Just trumpisms---the Military never was intended to be the shippers---the details were beyond trumps' ability to comprehend. The plan was always to have UPS and FedEx provide the shipping portion of the process.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

My concern is for those who aren't healthy enough to handle Covid - like both my parents, who are in their 80's. Wifey and I are being ultra Conservative in our interactions with others. And, I hope others are as well. I think this Covid infection is the most impactful thing I've seen in my life. It's impacting everyone and everything.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

As an Insider on the process. The Feds were very specific about what you could do and what you couldn't and if you deviated from their plan without their prior approval they would yank back your allotment. Their guidance actually sucked and was unworkable. Almost everything we have done needed a variance. If you had thawed vaccine and not enough arms to inject it in you were supposed to toss it vs giving it to someone not on the " LIST" . We ended up calling in folks on the next list to come in, bending but not breaking the rules. That's how I got my shot weeks early.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

So it turns out there is no Pfizer Vaccine held in reserve. They claim it was already distributed. I'm willing to bet it never existed. They never bought it from Pfizer in the first place. The funds were probably repurposed: into Pet Projects, Back Pockets, Illegal Operations....anything but on the Vaccine
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Trump lies about everything. It is fitting that his term ends with yet another huge lie.

He's a case study in himself but where did he find so many people to promote his lies and just plain high school-like snark in such high places? I watched Alex Azar yesterday in a combative interview, lying and being snotty just like his boss. I expect it from Trump but I figured he was the exception, not the rule.

It was as if this entire administration was predicated on lying, owning the libs and provocation/confrontation. How exhausting.

Azar's letter of resignation said that the January 6 riot had tarnished the reputation of the administration and detracted from its accomplishments.

What were his own agency's accomplishments, precisely? The 400,000 dead from COVID? The botched planning for the pandemic? The nonexistent federal response to the crisis? The finger pointing and blame shifting for the distribution of a vaccine? The subordination of science and public health to the ego and political needs of the President? Quack remedies being treated as serious cures at pres conferences?

Mighty accomplishments.

Gee I know.....let’s just give the Fed’s MORE control over our lives. You guys are amazing.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Yeah, it isn't as if a national crisis needs a national response or anything. Fifty states going in fifty directions is working out much better.