Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Violent fringe

Kevin, I didn’t say you are a liar. As I sorta acknowledged in a previous post, it was probably just a falsehood being indiscriminately passed around.

This thread does point out one thing that’s wrong with todays arguments. Regardless of a little white lies origin, people become invested in defending it. Instead of arguing about what they actually said, we end up arguing to the death over what an inconsequential politician may or may not have meant in something quoted secondhand by “people” we never met.

I believe it was you who 20 years ago here made some pretty good “instructions for internet argument” posts about the various debate tactics employed, and of the various kinds of deceptive tactics. I recall there being an explanation of all of the different kinds of “lies”, all the way from little white ones to ginormous trumpesqe ones. I’m surprised I can still remember that far back, and maybe I am misremembering.

To avoid any confusion, my comments in this thread pertain only to what my congress critter elect said. I get bombarded constantly in my local news about her, and see pretty much every word she utters blared across some headline.

I hope I don’t find myself trying to defend a trump lie. I don’t think I have tried except maybe in a hypothetical situation.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post

I believe it was you who 20 years ago here made some pretty good “instructions for internet argument” posts about the various debate tactics employed, and of the various kinds of deceptive tactics. I recall there being an explanation of all of the different kinds of “lies”, all the way from little white ones to ginormous trumpesqe ones. I’m surprised I can still remember that far back, and maybe I am misremembering.

Damn it has been almost 20 years we been able to discuss things. Tip of the hat to Mike for keeping it all alive. And a big thanks to all those that joined in the discussions both those that are still here and alive and the members we have lost along the way.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Damn it has been almost 20 years we been able to discuss things. Tip of the hat to Mike for keeping it all alive. And a big thanks to all those that joined in the discussions both those that are still here and alive and the members we have lost along the way.
    Best description I've seen on the Web today. Outstanding.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead