Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Violent fringe

Just for clarification,

While in the environs of the Capitol, she is allowed to have a firearm only as long as it is securely wrapped and in a locked case. She is not allowed to have one on the floor of the House.

Of course, Rep. Press Brooks didn't need no stinkin' gun when he caned Sen. Charles Summer into a coma in 1856.

Kevin, your post stated that she “tweeted out the location “. She did not do that. If you meant to say that her intent was to tweet out the location, you should have said so. I shouldn’t have to lecture the smartest guy in the room.

But yeah, she gets lots of attention around here since we sent her to Washington. We even have protests and everything.

She is who I point to when making the argument that the election wasn’t fixed.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Boebert tweeted that Pelosi was no longer in the Chamber. That is at the least narrowing the number of places the mob had to look for her. Perhaps it is more accurate to say Boebert is tweeting ABOUT Pelosi's location. A mouse could starve on that difference.

Most reports say she tweeted the Speakers "whereabouts". Any way you slice it, she should not have done it, it gave help to the mob, and she was told specifically NOT to do it, for that exact reason. She is getting major blowback from both Republican and Democratic colleagues, Republican and Democratic elected officials from her own district, her constituents and newspapers. She put her foot in it, fer sure.

But AOC is my state's cross to bear. I wonder how these people get elected.
    Last edited by Kevin; 01-15-2021 at 06:25 PM.

While you are at it you can fold, possibly the biggest nut job, in the House into this pot: Marjorie Taylor Greene from Ga.

How you ask could such a thing be elected---running unopposed will do it every time

It's a damn sad day when the likes of AOC is displaced at the top of the nut pile---but she is no more than a has been at this point
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

BTW, did anyone hear Matt Gaetz's rant at the impeachment hearing? Another performance artist.

Who spends a lot of time with a comb, I must say! His hair was more coiffed than Edd Byrnes from Sunset Strip.

One of trump's legacies---to my great consternation, is to have created a model for political liars---lie big and lie always---and if you repeat them often enough there will be those who just give in---and begin to believe the unbelievable
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I don't know about you, but it has been exhausting to be presented by constant obvious lying, by everyone in this administration. The relentless tattoo of lying that underlaid my every interaction with this administration eventually became numbing. Big lies, little lies - after a while, you just tune these people out, figuring that whatever they are saying, they are lying. All of them.

Maybe that's how they get away with it. You just can't have the outrage centers in your brain stimulated constantly without becoming inured.

The sadist part of this thread is the fact that some of y'all seam to think that the Trump administration people are the only ones to lie.

Every one in the political arena lies. Some BiG some small but they all lie.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    The sadist part of this thread is the fact that some of y'all seam to think that the Trump administration people are the only ones to lie.

I have no illusions about that IV. I spent my life working for and around politicians.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Trump just took it to a whole new realm. A documented 30,529 as of 1/13/2021. No other politician comes close. In one day during the election cycle, he told over 500. Up until this time last year, he had about 16,500 lies. That's 15 lies per day. This past year, he ramped up to 38 per day. In that same time period, he played golf 308 times over that same time period, so the actual number of lies per working day is larger than the average per day, clocking in at an overall lies per day over his entire Administration of about 27.

Kind of the difference between a smallpox outbreak and an epidemic. Equating the two minimizes Trump's unique contributions to public mendacity, which, given his desire to always be the biggest and mostest, he might not appreciate. Heck, his own lawyers would not let him sit for a deposition with the Mueller group - they said privately that they were convinced that Trump lies as naturally as breathing and sworn testimony would be a catastrophe.

Politicians are liars and egotists but there ain't no one in Trump's league. They retired his number on that score.

I keep being presented with this "everyone is a sinner" defense. It is lame at best. Yes, everyone lies at some point, I lie at times. At times, lying is the best alternative. As an example, offering an apology, even when it isn't heart felt, can be a lie offered simply to reach peace.

The lies of this administration and trump in particular have exceeded anything we have ever seen---trump lies even when there is no need to lie---there are those who have kept count of his lies---the number is staggering. To make this pattern lying even worse, it has permeated throughout his administration. Not only is it pervasive, it is the norm with this band of deviates.

Those who could or would not adopt the habit have been sent packing. trump is completely without ethics, morality or even civilized boundaries--there are no limits to his dishonesty.

Now we are at the end of this tragic comedy and we find ourselves confronting possibly the cruelest coordinated lie of all regarding the vaccine.

The lying of this administration long ago reached the level of a national disgrace---and we saw the damage brought on by the unending lies regarding the election---and it's deadly results. trump has blood on his hands. He duped those poor souls into doing his bidding.

I know you are sincere IV---and I respect that, but at the same time I cannot sit here and ignore comments that I believe are so terribly wrong---trump lies at a magnitude never before seen in the presidency---and people have and will die as a result.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-16-2021 at 10:23 AM.

I actually documented one falsehood being passed along by one ofour members in this very thread*. What do I win?

*although buried in one of the excessively verbose denials was the admission that the falsehood was just being passed on from various media sources.

I edited a few things to better reflect my intentions. I did not intend to call anyone a liar and got a little sloppy. My bad.
    Last edited by CactusCurt; 01-18-2021 at 11:10 AM.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

So you ARE calling me a liar.

Well, that pretty much establishes the nature of our future interactions. I had hoped that we could at least be polite too each other. I now ken your disdain for me personally and will act accordingly.

Rarely these days is the truth an easy subject to determine. Mostly the truth is in the mind of the beholder. Whether one is a liar is much more difficult to determine in light of the difficulty of determining the truth.
    Last edited by Honda; 01-16-2021 at 06:00 PM.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

With where this "discussion" is trending. It would seem appropriate to leave this here

Very interesting opinion piece by a professor that teaches a class on George Orwell and our current politicians

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/15/opini...ers/index.html
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"