Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Statehood

Statehood

Admitting a State requires a three fifths vote in the legislature . What are the chances of D C and PR being accepted ?.

https://www.legislativeprocedure.com...s-to-the-union
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Don't know about the chances, but I hope it doesn't happen.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Neither of them have ever contributed to the well being of the nation, let them earn their way in......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Since it takes three fifths [ not Scotch ] vote of the legislature to create a State. I find it hard to believe that , although they are not the brightest bulbs in the socket , the democrat run , not lead as that would indicate following voluntarily , congress could find enough support on the "Republican " side to voluntarily vote in a State or two which would cement the democrat party as the majority party forever.
    So, my prediction is , neither the D C or PR will be given Statehood.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

It appears you answered your own question.....

I can't imagine why we would want Puerto Rico as a state. It would cost a bundle in extra Social Security payments, Medicare and Medicaid payments, welfare, unemployment. We already have one Arkansas, don't need another.

I don't know the totals but Trump just gave PR 92 billion dollars, they've only seen 42.5 billion though. Something about crooked politicians.
    This is your mind on drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I can't imagine why we would want Puerto Rico as a state. It would cost a bundle in extra Social Security payments, Medicare and Medicaid payments, welfare, unemployment. We already have one Arkansas, don't need another.
    Have you ever been to Arkansas? I stayed with my uncle for a week in the Ozarks couple of years ago.

Beautiful place and openly racist. I have a picture of a billboard that floored me.

But the most remarkable thing about it is the infrastructure. All of the roads, public buildings, and hospitals and such are shiny and new. All named the Clinton such and such. An eye opener.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Naw, I was just stirring the pot and figured no one here was from Arkansas so I could safely pick on it.

Presidential pork goes a long way, especially in a place like Arkansas. But I don’t think we can afford to spruce up DC and PR that much. But I didn’t think we could afford this handbasket either.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Neither of them have ever contributed to the well being of the nation, let them earn their way in......Ben
    During the Vietnam War, an estimated 48,000 Puerto Ricans served in the four branches of the armed forces. Of a total of 345 Puerto Ricans who died in combat, 18 were listed as MIA's.
    DC lost 242 residents..

just a thought..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    just a thought..
    Lots of Mexicans and South Americans have served in our military, too. Should we grant statehood to their countries?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Lots of Mexicans and South Americans have served in our military, too. Should we grant statehood to their countries?
    Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa and the District of Columbia are a part of the US.. residents are citizens ..

I live just outside DC and have spent a lot of time in Puerto Rico and worked with the PR Air Guard (before we gave Roosevelt Roads away)

Note: I have a hard time with DC or PR having senators.. but the residents are citizens.. you & I can move there and buy a house and get a job without any visa or permit..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    you & I can move there and buy a house and get a job without any visa or permit..

not true of American Samoa. you have to be a native.

my bad.. went to high school with a lot of Samoans, they enjoyed visiting but were not moving back..