Thread: Quarantine projects

Quarantine projects

What all are people doing if stuck at home?

I re-learned German, started chess lessons on chess.com, and of all things, practiced my cursive handwriting. I've apologized for years for my sloppy handwriting so I got some books, practiced and now my handwriting is actually pretty good. What's weird is now recognizing how little actual handwriting is used nowadays, apart from signatures. I started journaling and writing my memoirs in order to have something to write by hand.

So what did everyone else do, if anything special? Any projects?

Whaddaya mean, stuck at home?...There's less traffic on the road, so I can get around much easier...Fewer lines to wait in getting certain places (except the grocery store which is always crowded)...I started doing gun shows again nearly every weekend...I've gone to as many as three out of town shows in the same weekend since traffic is light (well, except for Waco where I could walk faster than the traffic)......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I'm immuno-compromised. I'm playing it safe. But since I live in a hamlet of 4 people, it ain't hard to stay away from crowds.

Not much has changed for me since I've worked at home for the last 15 years.. Doing a 'refresh' on Mi Casa. New paint on the house and fence, new roof on the patio, refreshed the pool decking and am starting to refinish the kitchen cabinets soon. Not due to more time on my hands but more so more cash due to less travel.

Most of these projects should have been done 5 years ago but that is when I lost my job so savings had to go towards living expenses for a while.

I'm working my ass off. We are overwhelmed in Frontline EMS. Thankfully I have gotten my first round of vaccination and get the second shot on friday
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Cars, and camper waxed.. shrubs all trimmed.. had a load of dirt delivered, all holes in yard filled.. filled up friends pickup with scrap metal.. assembled audio components to digitize a bunch of old family recordings, in progress.. got the “home phone” working, old landline number on a cell box.. watched x100 movies.. growing my hair, can’t decide on “man bun” or mullet..

I've learned to manage in a new age---via Zoom!

I have to say the operative word there is "manage"---it is far from ideal. In the interim, since mid-March, we have undertaken and mostly completed a multi-million dollar expansion with major equipment additions and an additional building. Soon, I hope, to have new "tour" videos to share.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Learned a new word today..

Cronacoaster noun: the ups and downs of a pandemic. One day you’re loving your bubble, doing work outs, baking banana bread and going for long walks and the next you’re crying, drinking gin for breakfast and missing people you don’t even like.

You have banana bread?

I hate you

I took up whittling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4A20AA20-A7A7-44A8-B309-19322D288210.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	516.6 KB 
ID:	37821  

"Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

I've been remodeling an old farm house with hopes of moving in soon.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Now that would be just amazing. I hope your plans include making an old timey type fireplace to heat the place.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Don’t step on a nail. The ER is no place to be these days.

And post pics of rats nests and dead birds and other such cool stuff you find in a remodel.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.