Thread: Some good news

Some good news

Maybe four or five years ago I suffered what is called in the medical word SLH----sudden loss of hearing

My right ear was "dead"---thankfully my left ear was fine. This literally happened in the middle of the night---with no warning and with no answer as to why. I was told that it likely was caused by an infection in the inner ear and that I had little chance of ever regaining hearing in that ear. That said, they did do an MRI to be sure that it was not a brain tumor. I was also told that hearing aid(s) would be of no use.

For the first few months I did self testing using ear buds and an online hearing test---there was no change. Eventually, those online tests were no longer available. After about two annual trips back to the doctor's for testing with no change I didn't even return there.

Having hearing in only one ear is far worse than simply not hearing well on that side---it impacts my balance and worst of all when there are multiple sources of sound I am left in confusion---my staff has learned that if they try to speak over each other or even worse try to have a "private" side bar at the table the old man is going to stop them short. All I have to do is raise my finger (index).

Now, things seem to be changing About a week or so ago, I got the "sensation" of hearing something in my right ear. I did my homemade test using ear buds and music. At first I could more sense the sound than hear it. There was no tonal property---it was purely a low frequency monotone.

This morning I repeated the test and now I can actually hear the tones---it is not nearly as loud as my left ear---but definitely there. I am hopeful that it will continue to improve.

In the event I do recover that hearing, I think I shall not tell my staff
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

That's cool!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

That is cool. This summer a guy I know here suffered a miraculous hearing recovery after suffering a serious head injury in an atv accident. There was come concern that he would have any brain function at all and he woke up after 2 days without the need of hearing aids for the first time in 20 years.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Nurse Paula has Meniere's in her left ear and can't hear anything other than ringing in it. She is prone to Drop Attacks when the weather changes quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Nurse Paula has Meniere's in her left ear and can't hear anything other than ringing in it. She is prone to Drop Attacks when the weather changes quickly.
    That was one of the three possibilities when they first examined me. However, for some reason that I now forget, that was ruled out early on, followed closely by the MRI and brain tumor option being taken off the table.

I do still have the ringing in my ear---but I had that (to a lessor degree) before this event so I have little hope that will depart
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis