Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I won a Smoker....

I won a Smoker....

And don't have a clue how to smoke.

I donated to a gofundme drive for a buddy that needs a mobility scooter (has MS) and a part of the drive was a raffle for a smoker. No clue what kind of smoker and will have to grab it the next time I am in Durango.

In the mean time I want to start learning how to smoke stuff... Nurse Paula makes an awesome rub that we use on chicken when we slow grill it so will start there but I'm curious if any of you goobers have hints or tips... Or websites to visit for guidance.

I have access to pecan and mesquite wood so will start there....

Ok, what kind is it?
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Congratulations

You will have to tell us more when you get it but I can give you a few basic suggestions:

1. Pecan is a good wood for smoking. I have no access to it so I am going on commonly shared opinions.
    2. Mesquite is generally (but not universally) avoided for smoking since it tends to burn too hot and the taste becomes bitter from the extended time in a smoker. Commonly thought to be most suitable for grilling.

I tend to use a mix of woods, primary ones are oak, hickory, cherry, and apple. Oak and hickory are most assertive and I will use them first and then change to the fruit woods. Using only oak or hickory on a long smoke (i.e. brisket) yields a result that tastes like smoke and the natural favor of the beef is lost.

An excellent primer is "Smoking Meat 101: The Ultimate Beginner's Guide".

Joe is a wealth of information on smoking and had some serious equipment---maybe he will honor us with a visit.

A picture of my smoker is below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1376.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	3.0 KB 
ID:	37804  

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

What he said. What I meant by what kind was to ask if its a wood/charcoal or pellet smoker as is the rage these days.

I've had both now. Heres a 15 pound briskit from a couple of days ago. The high that day was 34. To say I'm impressed with my pellet smoker would be an understatement.

Name:	IMG_0646.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	387.8 KB 
ID:	37805  

don"

My personal observations.

Some things I would prefer to grill. I like beer can chicken, wings, and steaks better on the grill.

Turkey, salmon, and of course brisket are better from the smoker. Believe it or not the best thing I have had on the smoker is meatloaf (elk). Something about the ground meat picking up the smoke flavor. It is THE BEST!

As for tips, I have to be careful not to over season things with the rub or to brine turkey too long. Your strong seasoning will get stronger with smoke. And most recipes you find on the internet don't allow near enough time.

As for woods, i second what Dave said about mesquite. I'm pretty sure the only reason it's so popular down Texas way is because there is so much of it. If I had to choose one wood, it would be hickory. BTW there is a big wood yard down on Washington near the Stockyards restaraunt where you can buy bulk bbq woods.

My best tip is to use a meat thermometer. It makes you seem like a better cook.

don"

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    What he said. What I meant by what kind was to ask if its a wood/charcoal or pellet smoker as is the rage these days.

I've had both now. Heres a 15 pound briskit from a couple of days ago. The high that day was 34. To say I'm impressed with my pellet smoker would be an understatement.
    I'm envious---at that temperature I don't even pull the big boy out of the garage---I simply cannot control the temperature either along the horizontal chamber or anywhere in the vertical chamber.

Here is my go to dry rub---this is universal with me:

Emeril's Creole Seasoning (Essence)
    Recipe from New New Orleans Cooking by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, Published by William and Morrow, 1993
    Prep Time:
    5 min
    Inactive Prep Time:
    0 min
    Cook Time:
    0 min
    Level:
    Easy
    Serves:
    about 2/3 cup
    Ingredients
    • 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika (smoked)
    • 2 tablespoons salt (table)
    • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
    • 1 tablespoon black pepper (ground)
    • 1 tablespoon onion powder
    • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    • 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
    • 1 tablespoon dried thyme
    1 tbsp dry mustard
    • 1 tbsp dry horseradish

Note:
    Grind oregano, and thyme in spice grinder to allow use of shaker. This is also the reason for using table salt and ground pepper. If not using a shaker there is no need to do this.

Directions
    Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-02-2021 at 01:40 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

No clue what type of smoker it is yet. I'll have to wait and see when I pick it up next month.

Thanks for all the advise.

I'm very familiar with the Berry Brothers wood supply yard on Washington. I'll avoid the mesquite.

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    My personal observations.

Some things I would prefer to grill. I like beer can chicken, wings, and steaks better on the grill.
    :

Name:	Beer Butt Chicken.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	37807  

I love my beer can chickens.

Since the boys are headed back up to school in a couple of days, I’m a smoker short order cook so they have food to take back with them. I have a brisket in now, to be done about 6 tonight. A turkey breast (currently brining) is going in around noon.

When I put the turkey breast in I will switch pellet flavors, and a little while after that wrap the brisket in foil to bring it up to final temp.

Beer can chicken stands are perfect for standing up a turkey breast to smoke.

Dave, it’s 22 outside. I turned the temp up to 180 until the sun comes up. I can sit in my chair and watch the temp dial.

don"

Sure---rub it in why don't ya

As to the chicken---I too solved my falling over problem by getting a couple of the stands from Cabela's---they work perfectly.

I use Fosters cans with diced jalapenos and don't have issues with them falling over. If you use a stand you don't get the moisture.

The "stand" is simply a metal plate with a round "socket" the size of the beer can and about an 1 1/2" high. All the stand does is hold the can in position.

Similar to what I have:

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	37809  

Got it.... I've never had an issue with them falling over tho.....

I might get weird chickens

I have a hard enough time getting a normal sized can in there. This turkey breast has a little stand like what Dave showed. Almost there.

Name:	FF43ED39-54E9-45A3-8E2B-BD961206DE1E.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	352.8 KB 
ID:	37810  

don"