Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I won a Smoker....

What is the purpose of the foil? Build heat without more smoke?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    What is the purpose of the foil? Build heat without more smoke?
    To prevent drying out the meat.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Then why not foil everything? I have so much to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Then why not foil everything? I have so much to learn.
    First, if you did that, there would be no smoke taste imparted to what you are making---it would be non-smoked

Secondly, brisket is a challenge, often going 12 hours to 16 hours in the smoker---and left to it's own for that long it dries out.

I have a confession to make-----I wrap mine up after about 6-8 hours and and put it in the oven---and turn the dial to 250 and take a nap

Being a "purest" with a hand stoked fire and manual dampers for temp controls ain't as glorious as it might sound----the meat doesn't give a damn
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

The foil is just one way of doing it. There are as many ways of doing things as there are fat dudes with opinions.

I wrapped this one in foil after 7 1/2 hours in the smoke. Thats plenty to get the flavor. I then took it up to 205 degrees wrapped in the foil with a splash of “mop sauce” in it, another 3 1/2 hours. Shame on me for not checking, but it was probably 150 ish when I wrapped it. The mop sauce for me on this one was a broth/apple juice/coke/worstershire mix (pretty common). I’m lazy so I did something I could spray this time. Used coke instead of beer because I used a rub with no brown sugar and I wanted a little sweet.

That last little while in the foil really makes it tender, but someone else will argue I’m not doing it right.

As for the turkey breast, I take the skin off because I don’t care for it after being smoked. To keep things moist, I mop it with garlic butter. It gets cooked to 165 degrees. The kids like the cold smoked turkey way better than the one done in the oven.

There are a million ways to do it. If I find an easy way I tend to stick with it.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Here is a link to a thread I posted about the smoker I currently use.

A good thermometer is the best accessory you can get. Consider it mandatory. I really like my Inkbird with remote. There is a link to it in the thread.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke