Thread: A look ahead and a look back

A look ahead and a look back

First let me wish all a very happy new year, may it be the reward for enduring 2020.

While 2020 held the same downsides for me as for most of us--there were good aspects as well. One of which, is that it afforded me the opportunity to "attend" Mass everyday since mid-March. About a month after that beginning, my wife joined me and now does so every morning as we join, via YouTube, in that celebration in my office. It had a noticeable and much valued and meaningful impact on me--and for that I am grateful.

Not being to the office since mid-March and having to endure endless Zoom sessions, I have seen growth in some of my staff beyond what they might have experienced if I had been there. I have noticed the same growth in past times of being "absent" from my staff while in Canada and Europe for extended periods---and at this point in my career, to be able to foster growth is at the forefront and gratifying. I should mention that we have continued to operate based on an "essential service" designation.

I have learned much--as an example I have learned that if I don't shave everyday it is not "seen" by my camera

I began my end of the year financial close out today and see that I enjoyed similar growth as the S&P 500---which is a welcome outcome from last March. On the other side of that coin---my cash reserves for the last half of the year "enjoyed" about the same return as Joe found in his buried coffee can

I haven't seen our Grandchildren since Feb---other than on Zoom. "Enjoying" Christmas morning with them on Zoom just didn't have the same pizzazz as being there.

I miss seeing our friends and our traditional social dinning habits on one or two nights of most every weekend. We, on occasion, have select friends over for dinner here but I do miss the flare of a good restaurant. Tonight we will have one couple over for dinner--still welcome but not equal.

It just occurred to me, that there are weeks that go by that I don't wear "real" pants I think I will "dress up" for dinner with a tie and coat---and real pants tonight! I actually have a selection of dress shirts in my office closet that I wear while on Zoom---and then put them back in the closet

I miss hugs---my wife is the only one I have hugged since March! Virtual hugs simply don't get it

....and so in 2021 I look forward to hugs---and nights out dinning with friends---and seeing our Grandchildren---and meeting their new puppy

May all our lives return to the joys we had before and make us better people for the lessons we learned and the trials we endured in 2020
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-01-2021 at 12:55 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I have learned much--as an example I have learned that if I don't shave everyday it is not "seen" by my camera
    However, your famous hat cannot be unseen, even without the camera......

And a happy one back to you, Dave, and all Bilgerats everywhere......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Happy New Year to All!!!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

You just wish you had one Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    You just wish you had one Ben
    Do you think my MAGA hat would fit over it?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

You would be better off putting it over your MAGA hat, if you promise to do that---I'll send it to you
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis