Thread: Quadrajet choke adjustment questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57E5CAAA-7A62-4996-B7CA-CA5C3BEB68AD.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	37795

My last “build your own” was a Ford 351m.. I gave up and went manual.. worked like a dream!

But then.. I have refined slackerdom to an art form..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57E5CAAA-7A62-4996-B7CA-CA5C3BEB68AD.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	37795

My last “build your own” was a Ford 351m.. I gave up and went manual.. worked like a dream!

But then.. I have refined slackerdom to an art form..
    I'm so with you. This '69 bronco came with a manual choke AND a dash mounted throttle cable, both still functional (but disconnected). The ONLY reason for this brain damage is not having to manage the high idle warmup. With a throttle control I don't even need that.

This is more of a excercise for me because I'm stubborn and bullheaded. I rarely choose the easy path.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Curt, I won't trust my memory any further than I already have except to say just keep tinkering and adjusting until you hit the right combination...If I had it here I might be able to let my hands do the remembering, but even that is a big "if"...I still can't help but think the lack of crossover heat under the carb has some effect on your problem given where you live and the cold climate, but that is not easily fixed after installing headers...You might try PM'ing Mastertech to see if he'll come out of hibernation......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

The more I think about this, the more I think my bi-metal coil may be shot. It only lacks 1/2" or so between the two settings. And it never did work, which is why I'm in this boat. I'm not sure there is a way to test them, but I bet I can have one on the porch before I figure it out.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

If I had any sense I would stay out of this---but today I seem to be adequately senseless

My way of adjusting them was to loosen the three screws and turn (while cold) the body (CCW?) enough to just close the choke plate. Although I do not see it on yours, I believe they had a reference arrow molded into them that served as a reference and the nominal setting lined up with a marking on the die cast part of the housing.

I'll end my possible embarrassment there
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    My way of adjusting them was to loosen the three screws and turn (while cold) the body (CCW?) enough to just close the choke plate. Although I do not see it on yours, I believe they had a reference arrow molded into them that served as a reference and the nominal setting lined up with a marking on the die cast part of the housing.
    That sounds familiar to me too......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...