Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As an engineer, I stay away from publicly commenting on aesthetics

As an engineer, I stay away from publicly commenting on aesthetics

----but it is one of my current engineering challenges. It sways like a buggy whip---which means that square is not square--unless there is no wind. Imagine for a moment a door frame which racks and becomes a parallelogram and not a rectangle as the building sways----but the door hung on that frame remains a rectangle. Designing to prevent anything attached to the structure from tearing itself apart is keeping me up late. I does keep me off the streets
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension—a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Designing to prevent anything attached to the structure from tearing itself apart is keeping me up late.
    Steel curtain......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I would imagine that the door in question is not a " security " type of door but , just a normal office type door . If that is in fact true , then I would go with a three panel door. The actual door would be smaller than the opening. The exterior panels would be solid and the center panel would actually be three or four spring loaded panels of sufficient size to accept the estimated displacement of the frame. The springs would be attached to a fixed bar inside the panels and would allow the center panel to accept the frame movement.

The top , bottom and opening side would be so constructed. One would hope that the hinged portion of the door would not deform but , if it will , then the hinges could be attached to another center piece and have an additional spring extension into the wall on the hinged side .
    I envision a corner panel that would be pushed so as to fill the corners of the opening plus the flat segments to fill the other portions.

While that may be an EXTREMELY simple answer to your problem , I'm sure with your expertise you could make the necessary changes to my plan to enable the thing to work.

Any other problem you can't handle, let me know
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Thought I saw a program where they had the wind movements down to zero. Not that I would believe that was the perfect design.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Hang a huge pendulum down the center of the building to offset the sway......

It has a damper, as most tall buildings and while that reduces frequency it, under certain conditions, has limited effect on total deflection.

Eliminate the doors and just install those plastic hangy down strips that fork lift drivers like to crash through in warehouses..... call it modern contemporary or something gay like that..

With apartments spaces going for 7-12 million I'd probably have to step up from those strip doors to Asian string curtains---maybe a nice beach scene on a bamboo string would be nice.

Added in edit---I don't know details on this dampener but many of these get to be hundreds of tons.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 12-24-2020 at 12:35 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

All is not good in high places.

The Down Side to Life in a Supertall Tower: Leaks, Creaks, Breaks
    432 Park, one of the wealthiest addresses in the world, faces some significant design problems, and other luxury high-rises may share its fate.

One of the deeper and more fascinating threads on this site. If I understood more of it, I'd be wealthy.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension—a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.
    Exactly
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

i haven't seen anything recently about that high rise in S F that is trying to become the U.S. Leaning Tower of SanFrancisco. Is there a limit that should be put on building height to prevent jammed doors and tilted cakes ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    i haven't seen anything recently about that high rise in S F that is trying to become the U.S. Leaning Tower of SanFrancisco. Is there a limit that should be put on building height to prevent jammed doors and tilted cakes ?.

The retro fit on the SF tower is to do what should have been done in the begining. Drive the support pilings into the bed rock not just the bay mud and it is going to cost 100 million to do it

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...o-15635551.php
    Last edited by TriGuy; 02-03-2021 at 07:53 PM.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

It is difficult to reconcile how an apparent engineering error of that magnitude could have occurred. Double so in an earthquake zone of that high of activity.