Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: As an engineer, I stay away from publicly commenting on aesthetics

So, despite the fact that liquefaction of man-made fill was a major contributor to the damage in the 1906 Shake, somebody built a big-ass tower anchored the same way?

Who says history doesn't repeat? Sheesh.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/hazards/...faction/sfbay/

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    So, despite the fact that liquefaction of man-made fill was a major contributor to the damage in the 1906 Shake, somebody built a big-ass tower anchored the same way?

Who says history doesn't repeat? Sheesh.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/hazards/...faction/sfbay/
    I was just a few miles from the 89 Loma Prieta epicenter in a one story wooden framed building on pilings driven into the sand in Capitola on the beach. This area and the Marina district of SF had the most violent ground movement and liquifaction in the Bay area. Door Jams went 30* off angle and back, 1000 pound pizza ovens danced their doors bouncing open and closed in perfect synchronization. The cliff down the street failed sending a dust cloud 600 yards out to sea. Another few seconds and the building I was in probably would have failed. I can't imagine being in a skyscraper built on fill.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Sliding “barn door” on an overhead track..

Did I mention that I love my job?

I have finished my "willow in the wind" project and moved on

The last few days---when not in Zoom meetings I have been working on "One Wall Street", a huge project that I work on as needed and will run for more than another year---we are in year two now

This morning I finished up the current needs for One Wall Street and now will walk across the street to Trinity Church---where as a bit of trivia, Alexander Hamilton is buried. Trinity Church is a historical restoration and a bit of modernization. I particularly enjoy historical restorations.

In a former life (and time) I did the Sun Inn in Bethlehem Pa which was a R&R center for the founding fathers during the revolution. I also did a grist mill about 3 blocks away and at Valley Forge I did both Washington's Headquarters and Lafayette's quarters. Those jobs were in the late 70's and early 80's.

I never know which path life will put me on---but all have been enriching
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I love Art Deco! That One Wall Street is going to look boss when it is done!!!

I collect Art Deco watches, jewelry, and furniture. I'm looking for a nice Art Deco waterfall chifforobe with diagonal veneers and Bakelite handles.

On one of your road trips you will have to stop in Auburn Ind at the Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg Museum---it is one of the most exciting Art Deco buildings I have ever seen.

IT has been meticulously restored.

Back to Trinity for a moment, below are two photos of the "modernized area". They asked if we could do something to incorporate the Christian focus---we did that throughout by mixing wood and Aluminium to create crosses and in the second photo we incorporated the image of the cross using glass panels with wood:

Added in edit:

Another bit of history: as a young wife (19)
    Elizabeth Ann and William Seton moved into a fashionable residence on Wall Street. Socially prominent in New York society, the Setons belonged to Trinity Episcopal Church, near Broadway and Wall Streets.
    Elizabeth would be widowed as a young woman, with two children to raise. She would become a convert to Catholicism and founded a girls school in Maryland and a religious order. She is also the first American born Saint in the Catholic Church.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	37867  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	37868  

Last edited by Dave Grubb; 02-06-2021 at 09:31 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis