Thread: Kimchi---again! Plus ramblings brought on by maturing

Kimchi---again! Plus ramblings brought on by maturing

As the result of a series of events, I now find myself facing an immanent overstock of kimchi---all competing for warehouse space in the frig. I got one 32 oz shipment yesterday and have two more 32 oz shipments coming from another producer.

In an effort to relieve this pending overload, I had kimchi and eggs for breakfast. First, two chopped habanero peppers went into the pan with a bit of olive oil, followed closely with the kimchi (slightly drained---since the juice is not to be boiled away ). Once well heated, I broke two eggs over the top, then capped them with Korean hot pepper paste (Gochujang), covered and let the eggs cook slowly on their bed of kimchi

Tomorrow I may have to add a top cap of nori

I did mention to my wife that I could do as the Koreans do and bury my stash in the field---but since it hasn't been above freezing lately that didn't seem like a real good option at the moment

Off food for the moment---I think it was Wednesday of this week that it was snowing hard during the day. In the late afternoon, my wife told me to look out at the garden. I was on a video conference at the time and she quickly apologized and left with no explanation. A few minutes latter I saw an opportunity to escape for a minute. I muted my mic, stopped my video feed which in turn simply puts up a picture of me as a place keeper on the screen----and off to the window I went. And---what to my wondering eyes did appear but nine lovely deer---but on this day they had left the adjacent field and gathered around a large area of rhododendron in the garden. I didn't even care In the past, I would have thrown up the sash and encouraged them to move on---but they have gained complete access to the place---maybe they think I have turned into Santa

My hunting days are now dedicated to taking and coaching my Grandchildren---my own harvesting of deer is now retired to pleasant memories. I mentioned to my wife one time that the deer act as if they own the place and are nice enough to allow us to share it---she said she thought I knew that!
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I'll relate a similar story.

I used to go to a church that had a back wall of glass behind the alter that overlooked a field and surrounding evergreen trees. Since we didn't have a regular priest the diocese would send out a visiting priest when available to hold service. One Sunday morning the priest was about a third to half-way though his sermon, when a bunch of deer showed up in the back field. Kids would be looking around and pointing out the deer to their folks and the folks were trying to keep them calm. The Father recognized something was happening and turned to glance out the window. Seeing the deer a big smile came over his face as he turned back to the people.
    He said, "Well I see God has had enough of my sermon and sent some messengers to tell me so." Then he invited everyone up to the windows to get a better look.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'