Thread: Sad Times

Sad Times

My wife's aunt died Saturday of COVID, she was 91. My wife was closer to her aunt in her adult life than to her mother. She had 6 children, 4 boys and 2 girls. All the kids were born in Indianapolis and three remain there. Her aunt had moved to Hilton Head but moved back to Indianapolis about 4 years ago. She outlived two husbands but her love of family contributed to her death---a family get together for Thanksgiving---exactly what the CDC had warned about.

The good news, her family was able to be with her when she died. Her oldest daughter told my wife that the halls were full of patients
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Sorry to hear Dave. Pass my condolences on to your wife.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Thank you Fred, and I will do that.

This story only gets worse. What I didn't mention was that one of the brothers, who lives in Pittsburg, and his family visited for the holiday and the oldest son hosted a big dinner at a local restaurant for the entire assembled family. One, who now is riddled with grief, thinks she might have been the source for the others---and there is concern she may not make it either
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Sorry to hear this, Dave. I hope it doesn't get worse.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

My condolences as well...R.I.P......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Sorry that it has hit your family Dave

However

This is what happens when you dismiss science, follow those who say it's a hoax or just the flu. Or just think "It won't happen to me.

Mask up, don't socialize, and you just might make it through this pandemic.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Please know I am thinking of your family and pray that they remain safe.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Thanks everyone, and please stay safe.

That's sad to make it to 91 and let such a plague take you out. I'm sorry that it surely is upsetting to your wife. I sure hope the efficacy of this vaccine is as good as they say it is.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

My wife and I just "came" from her aunt's funeral---who died on Dec. 12th and the service was today.

Why you might ask--because the Thanksgiving get together that felled my wife's aunt also left much of the rest of her family, who shared in that joyous occasion, infected with the covid-19, one of whom came close to death. I am not going to fault them, Lord knows I feel deep compassion for them in this loss of Mother, Grand Mother, Great Grandmother and truly the family matriarch.

My wife would have been at the funeral (Indianapolis) if not for the pandemic---instead we were reduced to watching it on a live stream---of very poor quality.

These are difficult times my friends, please stay safe---and follow the rules , a hug is not worth a life. Not getting that hug is temporary. The results of getting a hug may not be.

completely agree
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Sorry for your loss.. I also agree..

We are on watch... My brothers in-laws had several multigenerational dinners.. then a son-in-law caught it from a coworker.. daughter caught it from him.. both were around the 60 year olds and both 90 year olds.. just waiting and watching now..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Sorry for your loss.. I also agree..

We are on watch... My brothers in-laws had several multigenerational dinners.. then a son-in-law caught it from a coworker.. daughter caught it from him.. both were around the 60 year olds and both 90 year olds.. just waiting and watching now..
    I wish them luck!

I went to the butcher shop with my wife this morning---first trip there since 11/20. My wife is like a wondering kid while I do my buying. She knows better---she is a medical professional---and yet she seems to think 6' is 6" I was hoping someone else might "mention" it to her

The next trip to the butcher shop just might be solo.