Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food for thought

Food for thought

We have often discussed the value of journalism on this board and so I offer this short piece from this morning's briefing in the NYT:

In the internet’s early days, it seemed to have the potential to crush traditional print media. But its impact has turned out to be more nuanced.

The internet has instead been a boon for some publications with a national audience. The New York Times has never had as many subscribers or readers — or employed as many journalists — as it does today. The Atlantic, The Washington Post and some others are also thriving.

It’s at the local level that the digital revolution has been as destructive as feared.

Hundreds of local news organizations have folded, as their advertising revenue disappears, and the pandemic is exacerbating the crisis. At least 60 local newsrooms have closed since March, according to Poynter. Some of them were more than a century old, like The Eureka Sentinel, in Nevada; The Mineral Wells Index, in Texas; and The Morehead News, in Kentucky.

This isn’t a story of creative destruction, in which nimble new entrants replace older companies. Often, nothing replaces a shuttered newsroom, leaving communities without any independent information about local government, schools and businesses. (A recent Times investigation found that some partisan groups have begun posing as local publishers, trying to pass off political propaganda as news.)

There are consequences for society. When a community’s newspaper closes, voter turnout and cross-party voting tend to decline, while political corruption and government waste rise, academic research has found. A democracy struggles to function when its citizens can’t stay informed.

What can be done? Eventually, savvy entrepreneurs may figure out how to make local news profitable. But several have tried in recent years, without success. For the foreseeable future, the only reliable answer seems to involve philanthropy. Americans have long accepted that the arts, higher education and organized religion all depend on charitable giving. Local journalism is now in the same category.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

For the foreseeable future, the only reliable answer seems to involve philanthropy. Americans have long accepted that the arts, higher education and organized religion all depend on charitable giving. Local journalism is now in the same category.
    The pool of philanthropy is only so deep...Those who give are limited to what they have to give...Adding more recipients can only drain the pool faster without new givers...And like the other three mentioned which depend on philanthropy, their supporters will eventually expect to see some direction of which they approve...I don't see this as a long term solution, and no, I do not have an alternative to present.....Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I agree with Ben.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I agree, that is not a sustainable fix. My point of posting this is to highlight both the value and the troubles being experienced in journalism---and to stimulate discussion.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

The times whining about the rise of fake news sources. LMAO.

It disgusts me to read pretty much ANY opinion piece from the times. The detachment from the heartland is stunning.

Hardly a day goes by without another exanple of their sloppy journalism. For example, in yesterday's daily briefing they commented that the Denver Broncos made the decision to sit their quarterback squad. That is false as the NFL forced that move. The NFL is hq'd in NYC.

If you get your marching orders from the times, you do not understand the way much of America feels.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Have a nice day

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Editorial slant/bias .. almost every news outlet has it.. (reason I say almost is because one should avoid “every, none, always & never” statements.)

Do not mistake opinion talk shows with actual news reports, both are slanted but the news report bias is usually much more subtle.. Large broadcast/cable networks are some of the worst.

It’s almost all biased..

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Editorial slant/bias .. almost every news outlet has it.. (reason I say almost is because one should avoid “every, none, always & never” statements.)

Do not mistake opinion talk shows with actual news reports, both are slanted but the news report bias is usually much more subtle.. Large broadcast/cable networks are some of the worst.

It’s almost all biased..

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    Even what is written on the chit house walls is bias---what the reader does with that is up to them. Reading something doesn't mean you are now defined by that something. I have explained many times there are reasons I subscribe to both the NYT and the WSJ--and read many more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Editorial slant/bias ..
    Of course it is slanted and biased, it is the opinion of the writer/publisher. That is to be expected and why it is in the editorial section. The problem is when it spills over into the news section which should be just the opposite - no opinions, no slant and no bias. Unfortunately, the publishers seem to have forgotten that and have abandoned good reporting for editorializing throughout their publications. Both sides are guilty.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

The only major Network that was for Trump was Fox News. The rest of them were part of the Biden campaign.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

All media is slanted,....People swallow the source they want to believe.

I avoid it all...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Have a nice day
    It was crappy. High of 38 with 30 mph north wind. I was outside in coveralls wrenching.

BTW, when I do bother to check in with the real world I go pretty much to the same places as you. I haven't intentionally gone to a fox source in years. That's why I'm a big lib too.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Just did an interesting read.. as many know, I will occasionally read AlJezera

AlJezera wants to be the honest, creditable news network from and for the Arab world.. AlJezera dislikes Israel a whole lot.. it also dislikes Iran a lot..

So.. their article about the Iranian scientist being killed .. AlJezera could not help itself in bashing Israel a lot... and Iran a little.. but because they strive to maintain a professional news reputation, at the end of the first paragraph they stated that there was no proof linking Israel to the murder.. slipped the truth in but still editorialized..

Was pretty funny... unfortunately some people will just believe the anti-Israel rant..

Dave, If the NYT allows statements like this to be published , then I question the content of the rest of the paper .

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...-illegitimate/
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Just to be fair I never Called Trump Illegitimate and idiot maybe but not illegitimate.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'