Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    Dave, If the NYT allows statements like this to be published , then I question the content of the rest of the paper .

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...-illegitimate/
    That's your right

For the record, I could count the number of OP Eds from Krugman that I have read on one hand.

Just for the record---trump is the biggest liar in the land---but I still try to pick through his BS looking for something of value.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

At times I would have to say , You're going to have sore fingers from all that picking.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

At times I would have to say , You're going to have sore fingers from all that picking.
    Calluses my friend---calluses
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Dave, If the NYT allows statements like this to be published , then I question the content of the rest of the paper .

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...-illegitimate/
    He is not a reporter and he does not report the news. He writes a column which is an opinion piece. That's a big difference.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Mike , He has been making stupid statements for a looooong time. Why the paper does not get rid of him, I have no idea.

He makes the whole thing look less that it probably is.

You are known by those you associate with.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

IV, consider this:
    Paul Robin Krugman (/ˈkrʊɡmən/ (About this soundlisten) KRUUG-mən;[3][4] born February 28, 1953)[5] is an American economist who is the Distinguished Professor of Economics at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York, and a columnist for The New York Times.[6] In 2008, Krugman was awarded the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences for his contributions to New Trade Theory and New Economic Geography.[7] The Prize Committee cited Krugman's work explaining the patterns of international trade and the geographic distribution of economic activity, by examining the effects of economies of scale and of consumer preferences for diverse goods and services.[8]

Krugman was previously a professor of economics at MIT, and later at Princeton University. He retired from Princeton in June 2015, and holds the title of professor emeritus there. He also holds the title of Centennial Professor at the London School of Economics.[9] Krugman was President of the Eastern Economic Association in 2010,[10] and is among the most influential economists in the world.[11] He is known in academia for his work on international economics (including trade theory and international finance),[12][13] economic geography, liquidity traps, and currency crises.
    You and I might not agree with his philosophy but he has established his credentials and has every right to do what he does.

Added in edit:

I'm pressed for time today but had to add thoughts to this.

If I read only things agreeable to me I would read the WSJ and call it a day--but I would miss a very valuable (to me) aspect--the challenges brought to me by contrarian thinking. I don't, by any means agree with everything I read in the NYT---but I can benefit by the stimulation to my critical thinking and the reverification or the shift in my own positions that reading it brings me. The greatest failure I could imagine is if I were to say that I am the same person today as I was a year ago--that, to me, would be paramount to saying I have vegetated for the past year.

It is also precisely why I come here.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 12-03-2020 at 08:43 AM.

Rudy also had a pretty strong resume before evolving into a partisan lunatic.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.