Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blowout

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210109_104702078_HDR~2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	481.4 KB 
ID:	37818Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210109_104724857_HDR~2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	476.7 KB 
ID:	37819
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

It looks better......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

The spacing has at times been a problem for large trucks as well. When the conversion from bias ply to radial occurred there were a lot of heat problems created by the tires actually touching on the bottom.
    It was worse on low bed (goose neck) trailers with 15" tires to allow a beaver tail. Trying to keep them both apart and cooled (remember the RPM on them is much higher than a full size) was not always possible. I had some monumental blow outs. One of the most memorable, (because I was looking in the mirror) happened on a down hill on I-80. I was possibly slightly over the speed limit at the time, and probably over the weight limit when an almost new inner tire let go. Keep in mind, those tires are not contained---they are open on top since there is no deck directly over the tires. What I saw, and took a few seconds to recognize was a large dark cloud go up---the cloud was the dust that was all that remained of the tire. No one had to make emergency moves to miss my "trash".
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-10-2021 at 09:32 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Time for a 3000 mile update. No issues whatsoever with the spacers. The truck is a little more stable in crosswinds due to the 4" wider stance of the outer dually. So far it has been a worthwhile investment
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Awesome.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    The spacing has at times been a problem for large trucks as well. When the conversion from bias ply to radial occurred there were a lot of heat problems created by the tires actually touching on the bottom.
    It was worse on low bed (goose neck) trailers with 15" tires to allow a beaver tail. Trying to keep them both apart and cooled (remember the RPM on them is much higher than a full size) was not always possible. I had some monumental blow outs. One of the most memorable, (because I was looking in the mirror) happened on a down hill on I-80. I was possibly slightly over the speed limit at the time, and probably over the weight limit when an almost new inner tire let go. Keep in mind, those tires are not contained---they are open on top since there is no deck directly over the tires. What I saw, and took a few seconds to recognize was a large dark cloud go up---the cloud was the dust that was all that remained of the tire. No one had to make emergency moves to miss my "trash".
    I was driving one of our Ambulances on I80 south by Rodeo when a gas tanker blew a rear trailer tire. The alligator shot up close to 100'. I was one lane over and behind him. I punched it as I watched that sucker go up and over my rig and land in the empty lane behind me....scared the crap out of me when it let loose

I think it's good when a man appreciates the things that don't happen to him or his family.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead