Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blowout

Blowout

Happened last weekend. We were 40 minutes from home on I5. We had been on the road for 8 hours, camper in the bed, loaded horse trailer in tow. I was doing 70, it was dark out and I hit something in the road. never saw it but I felt the hit, followed by a wobble and a bang followed by the sounds of a tire shredding. Nothing more fun than flatting with a marginal shoulder to pull off onto. Set out a cone pattern and got to work changing the inner dually tire. The blow out left the fender hanging by one bolt ( Thankfully) 50 minutes by headlamp and I had us back on the road. Changing a tire at night in shorts and a sweatshirt when its 50* really sucks. So this afternoon I repaired the damage. Repainted the fender and bolted it back up after doing some minor bodywork. I still need to replace one marker light and rewire them but its functional and solid and that's all I care about. So far it ha cost me all of $12.00 not including buying a new tire and a marker light.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201123_102158834_HDR.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	358.2 KB 
ID:	37748Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201122_221637818.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	233.1 KB 
ID:	37749Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201123_102127525_HDR.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	303.8 KB 
ID:	37750Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201128_161850812~2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	394.5 KB 
ID:	37751Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201128_161726616~2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	391.8 KB 
ID:	37752
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Glad you guys were safe.

Never had the experience of a blowout on the truck but the trailer came up short a couple of times with a flat and one broken spindle when hauling a car. Figured it was way over weight with all the stuff over and under the car when I blew the tire. Spindle/bearing was another story. Led to being in Salt Lake City over the weekend. Don't recall much open on Sunday when we tried to find anything open. That was back in the 2000 maybe it's changed since then.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

That's a scary experience...And it always seems to happen at the most inconvenient time possible...Murphy's Law in practice......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Glad everyone is OK---that can get scary real quick

I once had a set of duals pass me---I watched as they jumped the curb and sailed through the picture window of a Chevy dealership. I've never full understood the physics of how the duals sped up to pass me It may be that I saw it happen and slowed down--I'm not sure.

Luckily this happened early one Sunday morning and no one was on the sidewalk or in the dealership. I'd guess the weight to be about 400-500 lbs for two tires, split rims, and hub assembly.

The alarm went off so the police showed up right away. After I gave them all my information, I chained up the axle, and continued on my way. That trailer had a "walking beam" suspension on it so, even loaded I could hobble to the next job on the three reaming duals.

I went back on Monday and recovered my duals
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Pulled and inspected both driver and passenger side duals, installed the new inner passenger side tire and put the spare back up. Tire pressures were all over the place, fixed that with my compressor. Those tires/wheels are heavy SOBs

Name:	IMG_20201205_095438577_HDR.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	310.1 KB 
ID:	37753Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201205_095452999_HDR.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	292.9 KB 
ID:	37754Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201205_111238882_HDR.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	310.9 KB 
ID:	37755Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201205_101420113_HDR.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	285.9 KB 
ID:	37756
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

I blew out a front tire just before getting off the ramp in Tucson, heading for the Pima County Fairgrounds RV park. Since I had upgraded the insurance on the new fifth wheel and truck and added Good Sam Roadside Service. So I waited over three hours for someone to show up. The first one said they didn't have the proper jack to do the job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blown Tire.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	37761  

Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
    I blew out a front tire just before getting off the ramp in Tucson, heading for the Pima County Fairgrounds RV park. Since I had upgraded the insurance on the new fifth wheel and truck and added Good Sam Roadside Service. So I waited over three hours for someone to show up. The first one said they didn't have the proper jack to do the job.
    that is exactly why I carry a 12 ton bottle jack and a 24" ratcheting torque wrench. I am not sitting waiting 3 hours for a retarded grease monkey to show up

My experience with Good Sam Roadside Assistance has been extremely disappointing. Their response time the two times I've used them has probably averaged around 3 hours while sitting on the side of the road. I have made the investment of buying a huge breaker bar, sockets, a couple of jacks and a compressor that will run off the on board inverter.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Nobody will touch a truck with a horse trailer carrying horses attached. I carry everything I need to do any swap fast. I did this at night, by headlamp, in 50 minutes and that included unbolting the damaged fender. I'll be dammed if I am going to just sit around and twiddle my thumbs.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    I feel your pain.. lost a Right Front on the F-350.. and a Right Rear on the trailer.. I had a 3 foot piece of pipe ad a breaker bar.. pipe was also a leaver to roll the tire onto ans lift it the last inch to the lugs..

I was fortunate that when the RF tire blew it was a nice day and there was a huge “pork chop” /exit ramp where it happened.. did lose the RF fender.. the “alligator “ banged / folded the bottom rear of the fender up under itself..

When asked why do I have Cooper tires? I’d say.. if you need a truck tire in Lyme Connecticut on a Saturday afternoon and you don’t like Coopers, you are not getting a tire

So after a lot of research and just plain well heck maybe this will change it up. I decided to add some wheel spacers to the dually. At least they will eliminate overheating ( better air flow between tires) or sidewall rub as to the cause of two inner tire blow outs. CNC anodized Al with a lifetime guarantee

Name:	IMG_20210106_151312130.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	264.6 KB 
ID:	37813Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210106_154016029.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	238.8 KB 
ID:	37814Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210106_160335916.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	274.4 KB 
ID:	37815

That looks a lot better, and it's not going to add any stress to the bearings...Do the fenders still cover the tires?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    That looks a lot better, and it's not going to add any stress to the bearings...Do the fenders still cover the tires?......Ben
    The tires stick out about 1/2"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    The tires stick out about 1/2"
    As long as they're not stuck out a full tread width like I see some people around here, I won't make fun of you......Ben

Name:	IMG_20210108_111735096~2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	471.5 KB 
ID:	37817