Thread: Enough is enough

Enough is enough

More Republicans have pushed back against Trump. Fred Upton, a senior Michigan Republican in the House, said Trump should concede. Joni Ernst, an Iowa Republican, called rigging accusations from Trump’s lawyers “offensive” and “absolutely outrageous.”

And Senator Mitt Romney of Utah, a Republican, excoriated the president’s attempts to overturn his defeat. “It is difficult to imagine a worse, more undemocratic action by a sitting American President,” Romney said.
    That is still far too few in my view. I have to question trump's state of mind---as well as his "fading" council's apparent absence of self respect and even sanity. But at this point, of even greater concern, is the almost universal silence and support, both tacit and active, from all the mealy mouthed "conservatives" that are devoid of balls and character and through their silence are complicit in this tearing down of our democratic system. Now we see little political underlings from far off places---like Michigan---answering the call from trump to journey to Washington to help devise a plan to frustrate the will of the people. They should find themselves without a job---and a country when they get back to MI. They are a disgrace---and equally as bad---they apparently don't even realize that. I hope that the knowledge that Joni Ernst has a far bigger pair than those wimps makes them proud

I understand those who supported trump are dismayed over the results of the election---but if nothing else, at this point it is obvious it was without the fraud claimed by trump---just another of his endless lies.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when trump meets with these two wimps from MI---the snake meets two toads
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Hasn't there been a demand for recounts on every election that was lost forever. With absolutely no change in the results in the same forever?
    This is your mind on drugs!

Wow, Romney really is a maverick.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

I don't know why they (all seven of them) made the trip to Washington but as it turned out they weren't toads at all---they were a mix of mongoose and honey badgers

The snake remains withering in the deep recesses of the White House and his own mind.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I don't know why they (all seven of them) made the trip to Washington but as it turned out they weren't toads at all---they were a mix of mongoose and honey badgers
    I’m waiting to see how Michigan plays out ... it’s not over until it’s over.. ((Look at Wayne County, Republicans did the right thing and then got hammered by other Republicans, and under pressure tried to “unring “ the vote bell .. )

But.. the Georgia Secretary of State stood up and did the right thing, kept his oath of office.. may have committed political suicide..

Just my opinion, I could be wrong..

But.. the Georgia Secretary of State stood up and did the right thing, kept his oath of office.. may have committed political suicide..
    I hope not---as a Republican I am feeling a bit lonely these days

I should add that the Governor (also a Republican) did the right thing as well.

In a bit of a twist to the more common language of who won, the WSJ offered this:

Georgia Certifies: Donald Trump Lost
    A recount changed little, as the evidence of ballot fraud fails to appear.
    The piece continues (this is a partial extract):

The recount in Georgia is finished, after workers examined five million ballots by hand, but President Trump still lags Joe Biden by 12,000 votes. Many of the figures barely budged: In 73% of Georgia’s 159 counties, the margin of the hand count varied from the original by 10 voters or fewer. In a quarter of counties, the two numbers exactly matched.

Across a few places, the audit turned up several thousand votes that had been overlooked. Fayette County neglected to upload a memory card, which left out 2,800 ballots. Floyd County found 2,600 ballots that hadn’t been re-scanned after a machine was replaced. The additions slightly narrowed Mr. Biden’s lead from a little above 14,000 last week.

America’s distributed elections are a source of resilience, since no central authority controls vote counting. The downside is the messiness of delegating the job, in Georgia’s case, to 159 local officials. But the errors don’t fit any conspiracy theory. Floyd County went 70% for Mr. Trump. Does anyone think a deeply red area intentionally forgot Republican votes? Floyd’s top voting official has now been fired, so at least shoddy elections have consequences.
    There is a very real shift in today's WSJ, obviously they also believe enough is enough.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 11-21-2020 at 01:51 PM.

I hope that is media hype. It causes me great sadness, to think that we might have digressed so far that we can no longer honor good character and honesty. To think that anyone, would expect him to do anything different than he did is disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I hope that is media hype. It causes me great sadness, to think that we might have digressed so far that we can no longer honor good character and honesty. To think that anyone, would expect him to do anything different than he did is disgraceful.
    Agree..

And I am deeply saddened to discover that people, otherwise intelligent people that I have known for years are still on the “ I didn’t lose, you cheated” (let’s play destructive games) bandwagon..

So disappointing..

I too have concern for the future. We have this alienation playing out right here. I pray that we can focus on common ground and let go of the bitterness that is dividing us.

Federal judge tosses Trips lawsuit in PA.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/21/polit...uit/index.html
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

For anyone clinging to support of these moves I would urge you to read the decision (there is a link in the CNN article that Eric linked to). This case wasn't simply dismissed, it was thrown out in what should be an embarrassment to the trump legal team.

In case you harbor thoughts about the Judge's politics---start here:

From 1990 to 1991, he served as a law clerk with the Court of Common Pleas in Bradford County, Pennsylvania. He became an associate at Brann, Williams, Caldwell & Sheetz in 1991, becoming a partner at that firm in 1995. He also spent years as a Republican Party official in Pennsylvania and was active in the Federalist Society and National Rifle Association.[3] In private practice, he focused on tort, contract, commercial, and real estate litigation.[4][5]

Federal judicial service
    On May 17, 2012, President Obama nominated Brann to be a United States District Judge for the United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, to the seat vacated by Judge Thomas I. Vanaskie, who was elevated to the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit in 2010. Brann was recommended by Republican Senator Pat Toomey as part of a paired nomination with a recommendation by Democratic Senator Bob Casey Jr.[6][7] The Senate Judiciary Committee held a hearing on his nomination on June 27, 2012, and reported it to the floor on July 19, 2012.[4] The Senate confirmed his nomination by unanimous consent on December 21, 2012. He received his commission on December 27, 2012. Brann entered on duty as a United States District Judge on January 17, 2013. He sits at the United States Courthouse and Federal Building in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.[5]