Thread: With Senate Control Hanging in Balance, ‘Crazytown’ Cash Floods Georgia

With Senate Control Hanging in Balance, ‘Crazytown’ Cash Floods Georgia

I have to feel real deep down sympathy for our brothers and sisters in Georgia

After the state went blue in the presidential race, more than $135 million in TV ads have been booked in two Senate runoff elections.

The two Georgia runoff elections that will determine control of the Senate, and much of President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s ability to enact a Democratic agenda, are already drawing enormous sums of cash, with more than $125 million pouring into the state in only two weeks.

The two Democratic challengers, the Rev. Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff, have each raised huge amounts since Nov. 3, with Dr. Warnock collecting around $40 million and Mr. Ossoff a little less than that, according to two people familiar with their fund-raising hauls. The Senate arm of the Republican Party and the two Republican incumbents, Senators Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue, announced they had pulled in $32 million in just the first six days after the election. And Ms. Loeffler, one of the wealthiest members of Congress who spent $23 million of her own money to make the runoff and can inject millions more at a moment’s notice, has already booked $40 million in television time.

Super PACs on both sides are racing to lock up a shrinking supply of television airtime as ad rates in the Atlanta market skyrocket, with prices this week already higher than in some of the top presidential battlegrounds in October.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

It sounds like a really good time to unplug the TV and radio, and disconnect the phone......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

All elections should be , with the exception of the President , limited in the amount of money that can be spent AND limited to " in State " donations. States and ONLY States should elect their reps. Outside moneys should not be allowed.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    All elections should be , with the exception of the President , limited in the amount of money that can be spent AND limited to " in State " donations. States and ONLY States should elect their reps. Outside moneys should not be allowed.
    And just who is going to keep track of that?
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Yo Fred , All contestants are currently required to maintain a list of all donations. I see no reason that would not be enough of a deterrent to them accepting outside help . If outside help were accepted , they would be removed from the ballot. Additionally , the limit on spending would in effect have the same result.

I say a 5 mil. cap should be enough of a fund to apply for a job paying between 180 and 225 thou a year.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

They would simply launder the money being donated through a person living in the state....

Even if they did that , the 5 mil cap would limit the damage. Spending 100 -200 mol for a seat is completely irrational [ unless those donating know they will get it back through favorable legeslation ] . And , if the pols do that , which all of them do , they should be removed by a recall .

But , I think that a cap on spending will also limit the chances of Corps. spending a great deal of money since there will be a " limited bidding war " for the chance to have a Congress Critter in your pocket .

I repeat who's going to do that.

Saying this much is one thing and when does the cap come in. Day one-day 30-day 180.......Like I said who is going to give those figures and monitor the thing.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    Amen to that!
    This is your mind on drugs!

If I had a couple of five million dollars or more laying around I'd spend it in a second to get the Republicans in charge of the Senate. Otherwise the extreme left-wing is going to take over the country for at least 4 years. My hope is after 4 years of that BS we will get another Republican elected
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.