Thread: Covid Hoarding...

Covid Hoarding...

It appears to be occurring in my area again. I went to the store today and one of the items on my list was pasta. The shelf was empty so out of curiosity I went down the paper products isle and it was empty as well except for a few pack of TP selling for $13.00 a pack.......

Anyone else seeing this again?

I would assume the supply chain has evened out and this is a demand driven event.

I think it is wide spread. It seems people are fearing another lock down and so they are making sure they have a stock pile of the "basics".

Corn cobs are hard to come by these days
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Costco was out of paper towels yesterday.. and last week..

Aldi on Wednesday AM.. let’s hope there is peanut butter.. and ice cream.. I’ll “eyeball” the pasta shelf..

Rice and flour were big hoarding items in the past..

There is an interesting article in the WSJ this morning about the resurgence of paper/cardboard recycling and it's regained value. The scrap price collapsed a few years ago when China tightened their specs on what they would accept. That coupled with a new "wealth" of scraped boxes brought on by the home bound has made it practical and profitable for US firms to begin recycling here---even greasy pizza boxes are noted as having value.

I wonder how well that greasy residue works out in TP?
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Doesn't help when the media announces these items will be in short supply and guess what? Those items are in short supply. Last time it was TP and drinking water in my area. Our tap water is pretty foul but potable. As for TP, if I run out I'll do whatever they did before it was invented.
    When you've never seen the elephant, it's really
    easy to imagine yourself swingin' it by the tail

Quote Originally Posted by Roland_Jenkins View Post
    As for TP, if I run out I'll do whatever they did before it was invented.

Maybe not---when I was a kid, a few years ago, a new Sears and Montgomery Ward catalog would arrive (I think) every six months---and the previous ones would recycle to the outhouse as "sacrificial" components of the in situ library. First to disappear, were the indexes since they were printed on the same type of paper as the phone books---after the indexes were used it was off to the "glossy" pages and life on the "slippery slope" would become more challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post

I wonder how well that greasy residue works out in TP?
    Maybe that is the “lotion “ in the special, easy on the nose, tissue...

Note: do not clean your glasses with the special lotion tissue

We have Bidets so our TP use is minimal.... Glad I installed them when I did. The price has gone thru the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    We have Bidets so our TP use is minimal.... Glad I installed them when I did. The price has gone thru the roof.
    Great scene in Deadpool-2.. see bilge for link

I have encountered high tech toilets in Japan that strike the fear of God into me. All written in Japanese, I am in fear of pushing the wrong button and coming out of there as a new "person"

Hoarding has shot the price of ammo right through the roof...(Pun intended by the way)......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I didn't get caught with my pants down this time. I should be good for the rest of my days, except for maybe 22's. I only have around 10,000 of those.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post
    I didn't get caught with my pants down this time. I should be good for the rest of my days, except for maybe 22's. I only have around 10,000 of those.
    So.. now you need 10,000 empty beer cans.. big project, but can be done.. save the used targets for Ben..

Pasta report.. just back from Aldi.. only two boxes of spaghetti but cases of every other shape pasta.. lotsa rice and TP, paper towels.. no butter pecan ice cream!, meat rack full..

Guess we didn’t get the hoarding memo here..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	127126951_10225888125816314_3502130010530992588_n.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	37746
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

That's the best advice I've seen in a long time.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke