Thread: "No one was driving the car..."

"No one was driving the car..."

Two men are dead after a Tesla traveling in Spring crashed into a tree and no one was driving the vehicle, officials say.
    Cars that drive themselves apparently don't crash by themselves...They take their passengers with them......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I remember, as a child, other children demonstrating how skilled they were by bicycling using no hands. And, there was a chant that went along with it:

Look, Ma, no hands!
    Look Ma, no feet!
    Look Ma, no teeth!

Badda boom, badda bing.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Something doesn't add up.

Elon Musk, the CEO of Tesla Motors, tweeted about the crash on Monday, saying that data logs recovered showed that autopilot was not enabled and the car did not purchase FSD.
    And the fire thing was to keep the surrounding area from burning more. At least that's what's going around.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Nothing about this story surprises me. Darwin meets the future.

It’s probably still safer for old people though.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

I have a feeling that once those batteries combust they are very difficult to extinguish....

Quote Originally Posted by CactusCurt View Post

It’s probably still safer for old people though.
    You could have something there. It is possible, the defensive reaction time and resulting evasive maneuvers to avoid the younger and less experienced drivers could be an advantage for some.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I read somewhere that Tesla pulled the data from the black box and self driving mode was not engaged and the owner had never downloaded the function.

I found this video and article to be informative---and seemingly factual.

It seems almost impossible to me that this thing could burn for 4 hours, melted the body and the rear tire never ignited
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

The fire raged for four full hours and required rescue workers to use about 30,000 gallons of water to eventually put the fire out because the battery kept reigniting, the constable's office said.
    I know batteries get hot, I didn't know that they burn with flames 20-30 feet high...I should probably extend my battery knowledge beyond the two 12 volt Interstates in my mighty Dodge/Cummins......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I hate batteries. This is why I think home battery backup systems (solar) are a terrible idea. Wait till everyone has a couple of tragedies hanging out in the garage.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.