Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the good of the nation this needs to be put behind us

For the good of the nation this needs to be put behind us

...and it appears even the lawyers are saying just that. From today's NYT:

Law firms that have represented President Trump and his campaign are now distancing themselves from a quixotic effort by Mr. Trump and his allies to overturn the results of the election won by President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr.

Porter Wright Morris & Arthur, the law firm leading the Trump campaign’s efforts to challenge the presidential election results in Pennsylvania, abruptly withdrew from a federal lawsuit that it had filed on behalf of the campaign. That followed a similar move by an Arizona law firm that was representing the Republican Party as it challenged that state’s results.

And on Friday, a top lawyer at Jones Day, which has represented Mr. Trump’s campaigns for more than four years, told colleagues during a video conference call that Jones Day would not get involved in additional litigation in this election.

The moves by the law firms are the latest blows to Mr. Trump’s efforts to use a barrage of litigation to challenge the integrity of the election results. Some lawyers at Porter Wright and Jones Day had become increasingly vocal about their concerns that the work their firms were doing was helping to legitimize the president’s arguments. One Porter Wright lawyer resigned in protest over the summer.
    Porter Wright’s decision was especially remarkable, because the firm stepped away from a federal lawsuit that it had filed only days earlier.

“Plaintiffs and Porter Wright have reached a mutual agreement that plaintiffs will be best served if Porter Wright withdraws,” the law firm said in a court filing late Thursday.

The Trump campaign reacted angrily on Friday. “Cancel Culture has finally reached the courtroom,” Tim Murtaugh, the campaign’s communications director, said in a statement. “Leftist mobs descended upon some of the lawyers representing the president’s campaign and they buckled.” He added that Mr. Trump’s team “is undeterred” and would continue its litigation.

Porter Wright — which is based in Columbus, Ohio, and has offices in Florida, Illinois, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C. — is one of the few prominent law firms that has been representing Mr. Trump’s campaign or the Republican Party as they challenge aspects of the election.
    In a bit of irony, Ga. and AZ have been declared for Biden, giving him 306 electoral votes to trump's 232. In 2016 that count was flipped--exactly. trump had 306 and hillary 232. trump declared it a huge win---a land slide of monumental magnitude he bragged--while he ignored the fact that he lost the popular vote by something over a million, if I recall correctly.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 11-13-2020 at 03:55 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

The bull poop is flowing freely in both directions. I do believe I will await the decision of the Electoral College on 14 Dec. Then I will declare who is President. I may be happy or sad but one way or another we will HOPEFULLY put a lot of this behind us and move onward to a better tomorrow.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

I understand that you are disappointed IV, but this one is done. Inherent in any democracy is that many people will be disappointed and many will be happy. You can decide to let your disappointment behind.

Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    The Lincoln Project? What a piece of crap!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

on a brighter note , it is rumored that biden is considering h r clinton as ambassador to the U N . IF he wins it will be the obama administration redux.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

At this point I'm politically exhausted. Around our house I've heard nothing but for the last 4 years.

From my perspective. I'm just along for the ride, what happens happens.
    When you've never seen the elephant, it's really
    easy to imagine yourself swingin' it by the tail

Quote Originally Posted by Roland_Jenkins View Post
    I'm just along for the ride, what happens happens.
    I'd like to do the same but not sure it will work out that way.

I am saddened by the continuation of conduct I associated with trump but at this point he is neutered and the same conduct continues---case in point---the Lincoln Project---it was over the top prior to the election and now has no redeeming purpose--at least not in it's current state.

I'm afraid this lack of civility has become so deeply ingrained it will take many years to wash out---if it ever does---and no--not all of that belongs to trump.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

As much as I don't like the results of the election, it is clear that Trump has lost. He needs to concede and tell his people to stand down. All that is happening now is going to hurt the party in the long term and it needs to stop. Now.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post

I'm afraid this lack of civility has become so deeply ingrained it will take many years to wash out---if it ever does---and no--not all of that belongs to trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    ... it is clear that Trump has lost. He needs to concede and tell his people to stand down. All that is happening now is going to hurt the party in the long term and it needs to stop. Now.
    The rudeness, the bullying, the juvenile name calling, the general unpresidential way that he dealt with presidential business.. he had to go..

Do ya think that the Lincoln Project may attempt to bring the GOP back to the “class act” that it used to be??

Just my opinion, I could be wrong..

On edit.. I believe that the reason Trump was not impeached (House knew that Senate would not convict) is that Pence is a class act and would be re-elected..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    The rudeness, the bullying, the juvenile name calling, the general unpresidential way that he dealt with presidential business.. he had to go..

Do ya think that the Lincoln Project may attempt to bring the GOP back to the “class act” that it used to be??
    I think when it comes to uncivil behavior, the Lincoln Project is just as much to blame as Trump. I have no respect for the way they campaigned.

Pence will run in 2024....

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Pence will run in 2024....
    Covid handling will kill his chances.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I think when it comes to uncivil behavior, the Lincoln Project is just as much to blame as Trump. I have no respect for the way they campaigned.
    But the Lincoln Project is not the President.. The Lincoln Project can act like a Talk Radio/TV entertainer.. the President is held to a higher standard (and was at the ballot box)

I the Lincoln Project used a lot of the same propaganda principles that we used in WW II.. when we used news clips of the other guys against them.. one doesn’t have to agree with the content but LP did make some interesting videos.

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Covid handling will kill his chances.
    Not unless an effective way to manage it emerges. So far there isn't a "better way". Or if there is I missed it.

And no, Im not talking about some single data point example. I'm talking about a national strategy. Biden is currently back pedaling because now that the election is over, his handlers told him to shut up and that his strategy to destroy the economy would only accelerate civil unrest. In fact, I would be surprised to see a coherent strategy before the Georgia runoffs.

One percenters will deny this and clamor about a lockdown, but ordinary thinking people are feeling this.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.