Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CDC updates advisory on wearing of masks

CDC updates advisory on wearing of masks

From Fox News:
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Tuesday updated its guidance on coronavirus-related face masks to include protection for the wearer, too.

The update takes the federal health agency’s previous stance further, which held that wearing a face mask can lower virus spread to others.

The CDC said early research supports community masking to lower virus spread, particularly when it’s estimated that more than half of transmissions stem from asymptomatic people. The agency also explained the filtration power of masks, writing: “Studies demonstrate that cloth mask materials can also reduce wearers’ exposure to infectious droplets through filtration, including filtration of fine droplets and particles less than 10 microns.”
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

And for another view .

https://fee.org/articles/authors-ret...e-requirement/

We will never get a one unquestioned opinion from the powers that be on any subject.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

We will never get a one unquestioned opinion from the powers that be on any subject.
    The link did not work for me LV but I am familiar with fee.org. While different opinions will always be the case, that fact points out the need for everyone to educate themselves as much as possible on the facts and to exercise responsible discernment.

Since I have read nothing that indicates I will be more endangered by the wearing of a mask, I see no reason to expend time in discernment of this message. To the contrary--it encourages me to not only wear a mask but to make sure it is as effective as is reasonable. FWIW, mine are coming from Cabelas and are rated as KN-95.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    The link did not work for me
    Worked fine for me......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Now it works for me as well. If anyone decides that a mask is foolish based on that article---please stay home

It seems to be condemning some supposed study (from whom I am unsure) and rehashing long debated changing positions rather than taking a position on masks.

In any event---the CDC has updated their advice---do with it as you will

I always comply with the requirement to mask up when entering a building. That being said , it is very difficult to attend my Tuesday Coffee and wear a mask. We do tend to spread out more than we used to.

I have at , this time , one friend who was just tested as positive and put on a two week isolation [ at home ] . He made it a point to ALWAYS wear a mask with the exception of food intake while in public. I do not know the answer to the question of how do we end this nightmare. I just hope everyone stays safe.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    I always comply with the requirement to mask up when entering a building. That being said , it is very difficult to attend my Tuesday Coffee and wear a mask. We do tend to spread out more than we used to.

I have at , this time , one friend who was just tested as positive and put on a two week isolation [ at home ] . He made it a point to ALWAYS wear a mask with the exception of food intake while in public. I do not know the answer to the question of how do we end this nightmare. I just hope everyone stays safe.
    Amen IV

The mask controversy overshadows the importance of hand washing as a complementary preventative measure.

My daughter, who is a nurse practitioner at Children's Hospital in Philadelphia and has stayed safe---until she went to a wedding in Kansas and brought home a souvenir. Luckily, while still symptom free she returned to work but based on protocol she had to have a test before going on the floor. She has since recovered and returned to work. Her husband did not get it.

I'm wearing a mask and I don't give a damn what anybody says
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

The other day I walked into our credit union wearing a motorcycle helmet, gloves and a mask. Nobody so much as raised an eyebrow.
    When you've never seen the elephant, it's really
    easy to imagine yourself swingin' it by the tail

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    I'm with you on that!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    we had a neighborhood yard sale Saturday.. one fool walked in with out a mask (masks are the law here, not a suggestion)

A small taylor shop had masks for sale sigh out front early on in the pandemic.. I bought one that they made for $7.50..
    has an inside pocket for a filter (piece of real mask).. it is no problem to wear.. when the fit they aren't a problem to wear..

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    We started the mask wearing back in May. Made it a store requirement lost a few sales (maybe) when we told people masks are required.

As does it or doesn't it help I'll favor that it does.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

The fight over masks seems silly to me. We still* have a few holdouts banging their spoons on their highchairs because someone is bossing them around, but at this phase of the game everyone just wishes they would shut up. Unfortunately these open meeting laws and the need for transparency allow them to waste our time.

*COVID finally showed up here, and our region is in a full-on outbreak. Schools are shutting down again and kids are being sent home and are unlikely to return anytime soon. The dominos are falling now.

RUMOR (I deny knowledge of any fact) has it that one spreader event was a nearby livestock auction. Now if you were to stereotype these dudes, they are the rough and tumble cowboys. As elsewhere, symptoms vary but some pretty tough hombres got taken to their backs. I wonder what their mask policy will be going forward?

Our local officials seem to have been working effectively together. The schools and hospitals were in constant contact, and when the hospital situation became dire the schools closed and stay at home orders are being implemented all around. What triggered the hospital alarm was when the local "regional" hospitals announced they weren't accepting transfers. We have a handful of ICU beds locally, but most are at the regional hospitals in NM and Grand Junction. There are many Indian Health Service beds, but if they were available you wouldn't be able to use then unless you are Indian (generally).

So, I have 2 college boys and a wife (several of her colleagues are currently in isolation or quarantine) all being sent home from school. Wish me luck.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

I just made a trip to Durango and back and typically we would stop somewhere along the route to eat lunch but this time we did not even slow down while on the Navajo Nation. We took snacks and pre made sandwiches instead. Came home via Cortez due to weather conditions.

Curt said:
    The fight over masks seems silly to me. We still* have a few holdouts banging their spoons on their highchairs because someone is bossing them around, but at this phase of the game everyone just wishes they would shut up. Unfortunately these open meeting laws and the need for transparency allow them to waste our time.
    We have been doing our public meetings on Zoom since April. The public is invited to attend via Zoom. It seems this is generally universal for all public entities in this area. In my opinion it has worked well.