Thread: Vintage Sexist Advertisements

Vintage Sexist Advertisements

Sorry for the click bait, but some of these are pretty amazing. I'll bet Fred can remember most of them.

Times have changed. For all the intensive airbrushing and male gaze conversations, advertising really has come a long way. Women’s bodies may still figure prominently into mainstream media, but at least major national brands aren’t using overtly sexist taglines anymore. Curious how insulting and offensive they were in the past? Just take a look at this collection of vintage sexist ads we’ve rounded up.
    Clicky
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Most of them for sure. It does show how far we have come.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Most of them for sure. It does show how far we have come.
    It always amazes me how much has changed since my days as a youth. My daughter who was born in 1982 can't believe what I experienced growing up in the '50s and '60s.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    In the late 1960s Virginia State Universities were still segregated by sex.. University of Virginia and Virginia Tech (Then known as VPI, Virginia Polytechnic Institute) were male only.. Radford and James Madison were near by “normal” schools (teachers college) for women..

Note: VPI (Virginia Tech) was the “sister” school of Texas A&M.. both land grant schools with a Corp of cadets..

I could only look at a few----then I heard my wife on the stairs----that would have been injurious to my health and well being

On a more serious note---I had a lot of social adjustments that I had to make growing up. From the 8th grade on I went to an all boys school, then three years in the Army and then engineering school---while it was co-ed there was only one. I really wasn't socially adept at interacting with women, despite the fact that by the end of my sophomore year in college I was married.

I continued to stumble my way along until the mid 80's when I hired a flaming feminist as my AA. She was also the single mom of three young boys. She forced (and not always in a gentle way) me to look at my own sexism---and to evaluate it. Over years she turned me into a flaming feminist I learned to depend on her for advise in all things that were gender related. She continues to work with me on a part time bases (as an IT consultant) and we have become close friends. I still seek her advice and she continues to provoke my thoughts.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Personally I like women, but the two I married sure didn't like me......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

A lot of guys had trouble with my first wife.
    Last edited by Roland_Jenkins; 11-10-2020 at 03:45 PM.
    When you've never seen the elephant, it's really
    easy to imagine yourself swingin' it by the tail