Thread: Election comfort food

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Election comfort food

I have fallen into a routine since I am working from home. I start about 7 with email (with my coffee in hand), then download financial data to Quicken, then the mini-crossword on the NYT, read the daily briefing on the NYT site, and then check the headlines and futures market on the WSJ. At 8 my wife comes in and we "attend" Mass (30 minutes) and then I start my morning calls. At some point between 10:30 and noon I go for "brunch"

I most often have something with eggs that includes mostly vegetables--almost always with cheery tomatoes and spinach plus any number of veggies. However, at times I take a break from that and go with my my number one comfort food--soup. I'm a soup lover. Two weeks ago I made a large pot of beef vegetable soup which my wife and I ate for dinner three nights, as it aged, and I enjoyed for breakfast on a number of mornings. This mornings offering was a "heritage soup"---left from my times in Korea.

It is very simple and very easy to make, requiring only about 10 minutes. The base is Korean Kimchi instant ramen, to which I add, a generous amount of nori, torn into small pieces, 3 or 4 Korean dried gochugaru hot peppers, crushed into small pieces, including seeds, a generous dash of fish sauce and about a cup of "fresh" kimchi---with juice.

I refrain from breaking up the noodles. I eat my soup with a spoon and chop sticks. Leaving the noodles long allows me to eat them in the "normal" way---I suck them in!
    There is something satisfying to the soul by slurping noodles, and it is polite in Asia.

Slurping actually enhances the flavor of the food. Slurping the noodles allows one to take noodles and air into their mouth at the same time, which works to further bring out the flavor of the noodles. ... Thus, the air that you intake while slurping the noodles is vitally important!
    I haven't convinced my wife of that---yet
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    a generous dash of fish sauce

I have to sneak my fish sauce into the bowl. Nurse Paula HATES the stuff.....

Interesting---my wife has a number of things that she does not like, leading the parade:
    fish sauce
    coconut milk
    curry
    ginger
    anchovies
    capers

She has no idea of how often she consumes those "banned" ingredients---I never tell and she only very seldom is aware of their presence. She used to catch me on capers visually, not by taste, so I fixed that---now I use the larger Pantelleria capers and dice them---she never notices

If you add fish sauce to the pot, a little before finishing cooking the fish odor will dissipate and nurse Paula will complement you on how flavorful dinner is
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I got a new shipment of kimchi yesterday from Mama Kim's Kimchi. Not cheap but available.

I have good news and bad news---the bad news---I just finished eating the last of the kimchi---the good news---there is another shipment in transit

Order Shipped: #00000

Your order from CHOI'S KIMCHI CO. has shipped.

Order Number: #00000 (placed on November 9, 2020 at 10:13 AM PT)
    Due for delivery on Monday.

My only concern, is that if my wife figures out the source of my recently enriched "musical ability"---especially at night---my daily dose of kimchi just might come to a screeching halt