Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $61.75...

$61.75...

That's what the original buyer paid for the S&W Model 10-5 I bought yesterday...I know because I found the cash receipt dated 11/5/1965 in the bottom of the original box along with the cleaning rod that came with it...It looks mint except for the very minor holster wear at the front edge of the frame...It has a 2" pinned barrel and the original walnut diamond grips...In the past 55 years, it's appreciated somewhat in value, and I'm counting on it to do the same while I own it......Ben
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1013.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	460.7 KB 
ID:	37712  

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I am always amazed at old prices until I remember old wages............
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

That's a nice pick up, especially with box and paperwork.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I am always amazed at old prices until I remember old wages............
    No doubt. I picked up a Model 29 with gold engraving in the mid-80's for 275.00. Have no idea what it is worth but a bunch more than I paid.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    No doubt. I picked up a Model 29 with gold engraving in the mid-80's for 275.00. Have no idea what it is worth but a bunch more than I paid.
    I traded for a Model 29 yesterday also...I probably shouldn't say what I have in it, but I can confirm I traded a NIB Beretta 92X plus some cash...I have pics on my phone, but no idea how to post them from there...Maybe I'll take some real pics later......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Here's pics of the Model 29-3...This one was made as a run of 25 identical guns for Ron Shirk Shooter's Supply in 1988, this one being #7 of that run...Since Shirk is a native of Lebanon Pennsylvania, Dave may know the story of his checkered past...But all these guns were built with 6" barrels, checkered walnut stocks, red ramp front/white outline rear sights, wide target hammer and target trigger and unfluted cylinder...This one is absolutely new and unfired in the box...There are no roll marks on the cylinder...

What makes it special is that this one was returned to S&W by its owner in 1997 where they replaced the 6" barrel with a 5" having a full underlug...The sights were replaced with black target sights and the grips were replaced with Goncalo Alves fingergroove grips...I can testify that these grips were fitted tight and mated perfectly because I almost didn't get them off today to verify all the numbers matched...All these changes having been done at S&W makes this #1 of one, a unique piece...

How do I know all this is true?...Because besides looking up the special run of 25 on the internet at several sources, I also have the letter typed on the S&W factory letterhead stating its full history including date of manufacture, and the date of reconfiguration at the factory...The letter is dated in 2017, and both pages are stamped with the raised embossed seal of the S&W Historical Foundation, and both are signed in ink over the seal by Roy Jinks, S&W Historian...Such letters are available for any S&W revolver for pre-payment of $100...I can't prove it's unfired of course since proving a negative is impossible, but there isn't a mark on it anywhere to indicate it was ever shot...

It may never increase in value, but as long as I own it I can guarantee it will never go down......Ben

Name:	IMG_1015.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	453.5 KB 
ID:	37713  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1016.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	486.2 KB 
ID:	37714  

The only other gun I picked up this weekend was in Itasca Saturday...I know I paid more than I intended (still less than it's worth though), but as those with a poetic soul say, "It spoke to me"...This is a S&W Model 15-2, rarer than the earlier mentioned Model 10, but less minty...Also 2" pinned barrel and original walnut diamond grips...It also has an old-fashioned trigger shoe on it which I like...This collector wanted to trade even for a S&W Model 39-2 I was carrying, but I turned him down...I had bought the 39 from a dealer a few weeks ago when he needed money badly...This time that same dealer wanted the 39 back so badly he paid me $75 more than I had paid him...I then went to the guy with the Model 15-2 and got him to come down $50 for cash, thereby making an extra $125 on the transaction...Sharp-eyed viewers of the picture will note that it's loaded because I intend to carry it tomorrow...Like I said, it spoke to me......Ben

Name:	IMG_1018.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	387.4 KB 
ID:	37715  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1020.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	367.5 KB 
ID:	37716  

Since Shirk is a native of Lebanon Pennsylvania, Dave may know the story of his checkered past
    I'm not sure that I do. I do know he died but I think the business is still operating. I also know he had a large taxidermy collection built up by him and his wife---which seemed to have some controversy connected to it. I never went there because he was wholesale only--and I think still is.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I think the business is still operating.
    It is, I think I even remember buying from them...I found some court documents yesterday detailing Mr. Shirk's interpretation of currency laws as they pertained to the $1.4 million in undeclared cash found in a safe in the basement of his business...As I understood it, the business was allowed to continue to operate as long as he had no influence over the day-to-day operations, and a new accountant was added to the staff......Ben

You can't even buy ammo around here. I've been looking for a couple boxes of 38 special for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    You can't even buy ammo around here. I've been looking for a couple boxes of 38 special for a while.
    It's everywhere here if you don't mind paying outrageous prices...I bought a box of 20 Hornady XTP +P .38 Spl. Sunday from a dealer I know...Even at my "buddy" discount I paid $30...The box was marked at $39......Ben

A few weeks ago I remember being at a small out of town show where the only dealer selling ammo had his reloads piled on the table...He had 9MM FMJ priced at $80 per box of 50, and he was doing brisk business...I always tell people if I play my cards right I have a lifetime supply on my belt right now......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    It is, I think I even remember buying from them...I found some court documents yesterday detailing Mr. Shirk's interpretation of currency laws as they pertained to the $1.4 million in undeclared cash found in a safe in the basement of his business...As I understood it, the business was allowed to continue to operate as long as he had no influence over the day-to-day operations, and a new accountant was added to the staff......Ben
    Well---that just smacks of pickiness on the part of the Feds---he got busy and hadn't gotten around to running it through the books as yet

I've heard a lot of stories about them old gun dealers all having safes full of cash---doesn't surprise me a lick
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I've heard a lot of stories about them old gun dealers all having safes full of cash---doesn't surprise me a lick
    I wish I had been as smart as those guys...I might not be reduced to the sorry state I face now, having to peddle off my meager private collection just to live hand to mouth......Ben

Elections are famine or feast for gun dealers. The best deals I ever got on new guns was after Trump was sworn in, reason being they had stocked to the rafters assuming a rush when Hillary was coronated. They gave away guns for about 6 months. I was buying Sig P229's for 399.00, Glock 43's for 319.00, S&W Sport II .556 for 425.00. It was crazy.