Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $61.75...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Here's pics of the Model 29-3...This one was made as a run of 25 identical guns for Ron Shirk Shooter's Supply in 1988, this one being #7 of that run...Since Shirk is a native of Lebanon Pennsylvania, Dave may know the story of his checkered past...But all these guns were built with 6" barrels, checkered walnut stocks, red ramp front/white outline rear sights, wide target hammer and target trigger and unfluted cylinder...This one is absolutely new and unfired in the box...There are no roll marks on the cylinder...

What makes it special is that this one was returned to S&W by its owner in 1997 where they replaced the 6" barrel with a 5" having a full underlug...The sights were replaced with black target sights and the grips were replaced with Goncalo Alves fingergroove grips...I can testify that these grips were fitted tight and mated perfectly because I almost didn't get them off today to verify all the numbers matched...All these changes having been done at S&W makes this #1 of one, a unique piece...

How do I know all this is true?...Because besides looking up the special run of 25 on the internet at several sources, I also have the letter typed on the S&W factory letterhead stating its full history including date of manufacture, and the date of reconfiguration at the factory...The letter is dated in 2017, and both pages are stamped with the raised embossed seal of the S&W Historical Foundation, and both are signed in ink over the seal by Roy Jinks, S&W Historian...Such letters are available for any S&W revolver for pre-payment of $100...I can't prove it's unfired of course since proving a negative is impossible, but there isn't a mark on it anywhere to indicate it was ever shot...

It may never increase in value, but as long as I own it I can guarantee it will never go down......Ben
    Mine is very similar to that but it has gold etchings. I will pull it out of the safe, I have not seen it in many years.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Prices are just through the roof, and I predict it's about to get worse...I've wanted a Colt Diamondback of my own for a long time but with prices skyrocketing on all things Colt, there is no way I could make myself plunk down the $2500-$3500 some people are demanding...But diligence pays off; I took one of my Kimbers that I've been using as a carry gun the last ten years to a show today, and nobody was very interested in what I asked for it...However one guy with several guns on his table liked it and wanted it for a carry gun...As luck would have it, he had an absolutely pristine Diamondback at $400 less than some of the well worn ones elsewhere, blued finish the way I like them, and was ready to deal...I had to pay out some cash, but the Diamondback is in my safe now where it belongs, and he has a damn fine carry gun...Essentially I carried the Kimber ten years, and got all my money back plus the Colt......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Excellent I miss going to shows---but I'm not sure my wife is

There was a time when I could add to the collection unnoticed. I'd take a number of guns with me on the way out and then bring a number back with me. I could come up with some coy story that aloud me to skirt her question of how many I bought. Then---she changed all that---she counted how many went out and how many came back

That caused a reset in methodology---I had to sneak any adds in when she wasn't watching---once they join the collection they are safe---and I never answer her question of how many are there---in fact, I don't know--so I can't answer
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I bought the two-day pass yesterday, and made the return trip this morning...Please, someone stop me before I spend again...Three more S&W wheelguns, two grips and two holsters......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Good for you Ben---scrap prices must be on the rise
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Good for you Ben---scrap prices must be on the rise
    Either that or my well hidden cash pile is rapidly diminishing...Here are some pics of the Model 12-2 I acquired yesterday...The serial number puts the manufacturing date at 1954-56...This was the least expensive one from yesterday......Ben

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1032.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	455.0 KB 
ID:	37726
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1022.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	391.2 KB 
ID:	37725  

They had one just before I left the RV park at the fairgrounds. Good thing I had spent all my money for the month.

NOVEMBER 28-29 – AZ, TUCSON | Crossroads of the West Gun Show
    Pima County Fairgrounds, 11300 Houghton Road – Tucson, AZ 85747 | 8 ft Tables/Wall/Booths: Vendor Information | Show Hours: Saturday 9 am – 5 pm & Sunday 9 am – 4 pm | Admission: $12.00 – Children 12 & under admitted free with parent or guardian – Ticket price is good for both days | Contact: Crossroads of The West 801-544-9125 | E-mail: gunshows@crossroadsgunshows.com | Website: http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
    They had one just before I left the RV park at the fairgrounds. Good thing I had spent all my money for the month.
    I get to that point pretty quickly with my SS check...I have two shows this weekend and two more the following weekend...I hope I spend wisely......Ben